"Freedom from Want," Norman Rockwell, 1943

-Freedom_From_Want-_-_NARA_-_513539.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Today Doesn't Even Feel Like Thanksgiving

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

It just feels like any other day.

@Anonymous032819 

Really? You might want to rethink that comment. lol

Personally, I don’t think we have had a single day that “feels like any other day” in months. Maybe in January there were a few. But, to be safe, I’d go back to summer 2019 and earlier. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not much for holidays, anyway.  I just try to life the right life every day.  But I understand how people who are more into them can feel some disappointment at such a horrible time.

I hope everybody is able to find a way to have a nice day.   Things will get better, and that's something.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I woke up to Happy Thanksgiving texts and emails from friends and family. One email included an article about how we actually came to celebrate Thanksgiving. Call me surprised but it has nothing to do with the pilgrims! 

There will be no gathering for my friends and family today but it is definitely a day to celebrate and give thanks. 

Esteemed Contributor

Appreciate every day!

happy-thanksgiving-pumpkins-fruits-falling-260nw-1186136782.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

sadder than any other day....i'm having a hard time....without my children and grandkids....can't wait for this day to be over.........

Esteemed Contributor

You're right, it does not (thankfully) feel like Thanksgiving.  No hiding from crazy uncle Eddie, no listening to criticizing aunt Minnie telling everyone what they've done wrong or should be doing, no bickering among the cousins.

What it is is a peaceful day of reflecting about all the things for  which I am grateful, including crazy uncle Eddie, critical aunt Minnie and the bickering cousins.

It is also a day of cooking exactly the meal I want, at my pace and in my time frame.  No rushing to meet a schedule.

A Thanksgiving that allows me to fully honor the meaning of the day without interruption or concession.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

This was something different for me, though- My father called me today.  He never calls me on holidays and he even called me two weeks ago on my birthday.   Hope he's not dying.   He's 88.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved it, everything was delicious, desserts were so good. We ate at noon, son had to go back to work by 3p. I will be ready for dinner and have seconds by 5/6p.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 It is any other day.  It's what we do or make of it that makes it different than any other day.  

Some of us have had to adjust to it being different, and it is what we make of it.  As I guess are most days. . . 

Wishing you peace, blessings and some happiness today!