Respected Contributor

Today 7/23 is National Gorgeous Grandma Day !

[ Edited ]

From the National Today website:

Maybe you call her Nana. Maybe you call her Granny. Maybe you call her when you’re in trouble because you know she’ll be there for you at the drop of a hat. Whatever the case may be, today is her day. But it’s not just Grandma Day—oh no. This July 23, we celebrate National Gorgeous Grandma Day. Today’s the day to tell ol’ Granny just how stunning she really is. She looks fly for an eighty year old, you have to admit. We bet all the grandpas are dying to get with her.

We love our grandmothers but, most of the time, we see them in a stereotypical old-fashioned way. Grandmothers are expected to be calm, collected, have an outdated style, and spend their days baking and knitting. Society’s narrow perception that women shouldn’t dress up, wear bright colors, and go on dates after the age of 50 is primitive. National Gorgeous Grandma Day intends to dispel this mindset and encourage people not to frown upon ladies over the age of 50 who are not ready to retire to a quiet life yet.

So to all of you Gorgeous Grandmas out there enjoy your day !  I am a gorgeous grandma of 2, a busy 6 yo and a 22 yo. I love them both so much and they bring me such joy !   Oh and by the way I think I look fly for a 71 yo and I'm dating a wonderful gentleman !  God Bless all you Gorgeous grannys ! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Today 7/23 is National Gorgeous Grandma Day !

[ Edited ]

Not sure about gorgeous, but maybe described as "cute"? My Girls call me Mom Mom...never figured out way.

They are the light of my life. I try to get to their swim meets, soccer games, Girl Scout Award Ceremonies, school plays and everything they're involved in and love.

Grandmas are so different today than my Grandma at this age. I only knew one...my Mom's mother. At my age, she had really slowed down and didn't drive.

She lived in NY in the summers and did 6 months in FL during the colder months. They had a large house and all the grandkids were sent (by train then) to visit for a few weeks in summer. I loved upstate NY where she lived. I was born there and visited often since many other relatives were still there. Her house had back stairs where we'd hide. 

My Mom's directions to her was that I needed a malted milkshake every night before bed. Everyone spent so much time trying to fatten me up. I would never give my granddaughters a suggestion that their bodies weren't perfect as is. 

I try to keep up with they're doing and either I call them every other day or text...they call me, too. My Grandma (Nana) had 7 children and some had 4 kids of their own. There was never a shortage of cousins to play with.

My Nana was from Poland and she made the most delicious foods...perogies with steamed onions and mashed potatoes, stuffed cabbages and delicious desserts. As I became a teen,I followed her around the kitchen trying to learn what she cooked. 

She kept a kosher house, was quite religious and lights went out before Shabbath and stayed off until sundown on Sat. There was always a pot of stew on the stove (put on the stove at 5PM on kept on a low heat) to eat on Saturday..also a kettle of boiling water for tea. We walked to Synogogue on Sat. morning and she observed the day the way she did growing up...no TV for us, just quiet activities like reading or doing puzzles. It was strange for us NC cousins used to running around outside and riding bikes in the street on the the weekends.

During the week, I walked with her to the bakery, the kosher chicken butcher (big yuck) and the veggie/fruit stand...all within walking distance of her house. We lived in a very small town in the Catskill Mountains. 

She was only about 4'8"...a tiny woman with blonde hair when younger, and beautiful blue eyes. She had white hair by about 50 and always let me play in her makeup drawer and one with abundant jewelry. I later inherited some beautiful pearls, diamond earrings and gold bracelets. I treaure them and wear that jewelry often. Her birthday was also in July and she gave me a beautiful ruby and diamond ring that's tucked away for safe keeping.

I have very fond memories and hope my GDs feel the same about me.

Respected Contributor

No gorgeous grandmas in my life right now.  Both of my grandmothers died on the same day - Easter Sunday.   I missed both their funerals as I gave birth to my first child that week.

My daughters' grandmothers are both deceased.  My mother died 10 years ago at age 73 after a battle with cancer.  My daughters were 15 and 10 when she died.  My mother in law died in 2015.

I probably won't be a grandmother myself as my two daughters have no interest in having children.  I might have some granddogs. 

I have fond memories of my grandmothers.  My paternal grandmother was from Poland escaping during WW I.  She taught me how to bake bread.  She lived to be 89.  My materal grandmother was Italian.  She also was a great cook.  She would spoil me rotten and I spent a lot of time with her growing up.  She developed dementia in her 60s and my mother had to put her in a nursing home as she would wander during the night.  I was the only one who visited her regularly.  I went once a week and brought her treats and did her laundry.  She died at 76.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, shucks.  I didn't know they created a day just for me.  You know I am the one they started this day for!  Batting my eyes and twirling my dress........

Mother In Law GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life