Honored Contributor

Re: Today (2/1/16) All Public Facebook pages require security entry

I just came from looking at LR's Facebook page and it was like normal- I don't have a Facebook account either.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@Marpbelong was my typo.  I corrected it.

Respected Contributor

Well, I bit the bullet and submitted the letters/numbers in the security check box.  With that I was able to see that page and all the other pages I have bookmarked.  I only had to fulfill the requirement once.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Montana wrote:

@Montana wrote:

@Hooty, I can't copy the box but when I go to Facebook pages I have bookmarked, instead of the page I see this:

Security Check

Please enter the text belong:

(Example) Ef79G95

Whats this?

Submit

I have never had a Facebook account and until today have never seen this message or requirement.

@ Montana If that is not your typo I would be suspicious and clear cache, cookies and run a malware check.

It's real. I logged out and went to a public page and got this:

FacebookCaptcha.JPG

Respected Contributor

FB is not that scary if you use your real name, minus anything else that's real, and then set your security so private that unless they are on your friend's list they can't contact you.  There are some interesting sites that you are missing out on if you are not on FB.  I also like sharing posts with some of my friends.  People post some very cleaver things and it's fun.  I'm pretty boring.  My favorite sites have to do with animals.   

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue, thanks for posting a copy of the security check.  A picture is worth  ...  well, you know.

Respected Contributor

Really odd. I logged out, logged back in, went to a public page, and no problem. Hmmm . . .

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I don't know why people are so afraid of Facebook accounts.

If you don't want them to have any personal information and don't want to keep in touch with your own friends, just join under a fake name, like Chynna Jones. You need to create a fake email first, but you can also do that with a fake name and then use a fake address. (123 Main Street, or your street with a house number that doesn't exist, etc.) 

Facebook has a lot of social games that require you to have friends to advance in the game, but if none of your real life friends play the games, you can't do anything in them. So many of us have fake accounts we just use for games. Who cares who you make friends with if none of your information is real?

I have more fake names than the roster at a gentlemen's club.

@ChynnaBlue

Smiley MSN Emoticon 155.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I don't know why people are so afraid of Facebook accounts.

If you don't want them to have any personal information and don't want to keep in touch with your own friends, just join under a fake name, like Chynna Jones. You need to create a fake email first, but you can also do that with a fake name and then use a fake address. (123 Main Street, or your street with a house number that doesn't exist, etc.) 

Facebook has a lot of social games that require you to have friends to advance in the game, but if none of your real life friends play the games, you can't do anything in them. So many of us have fake accounts we just use for games. Who cares who you make friends with if none of your information is real?

I have more fake names than the roster at a gentlemen's club.

Lol at the last sentence.   You're right on about having a fake FB account.   I have one  to visit different sites with anonymity.   I also don't want to be tracked down about school reunions, etc.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CouponQueen wrote:

I have no issue   getting on FB today either..I wonder since the OP does not have a FB account they are requiring to prove entry like they do to make sure it is a legit computer/person and not a bot? I often have that to sign into secure logins like my bank or credit cards.

I agree with Cardinalgirl that to get in to read FB you should have an account. 

FB is very secure. It depends on you and your settings. It depends on what you put out there..It is up to you what is posted so it should be all good.

I don't post anything that I wouldn't want anybody to see..or hear if they were in the same room..etc..

Personal Responsibility!

@CouponQueen@, @SuzieGarnet said she does not have a Facebook account and did not get the security check.  So not having an account does not appear to be the reason.

Without an account you can only read so I don't know how spamming could be done.