Esteemed Contributor

Re: To those posters who live in NYC....is Carnegie Deli still closed????

@reiki604 wrote:

Katz's deli on the Lower East Side.

The BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Katz's deli on the Lower East Side.

The BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Woman LOL

I totally agree - this is the deli used in When Harry Met Sally.

Their corn beef, pastrami, matza ball soup is divine. I always get a container of chopped liver to go. Haven't been there for a while but I'm sure it is still delicious and wearing loose pants is mandatory.

Contributor

Carnegie Deli website is still up.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for all the replies! You guys are the BEST!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I think Carnegie may be open.  In June, the Times stated that it was due to open in 2 weeks and that was about mid June.   I checked  the website and it said "open today"?? 

They still had fines to pay but the lawyer said they would be taken care of shortly.   The delis mentioned are good but Carnegie is just the best...so much history and fun....

Contributor

Katz's Deli is, of course, still there and still busy. It's basic Jewish Deli, nothing fancy-schmancy. While you are there, take a tour at the Tenement Museum; the museum offers real life and interactive tours of the various immigrant groups that lived during the Tenement period. There's also a Chinese American Museum downtown; worth it, if you have a guide.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LIndaMJ wrote:

Danky,  thank you so much for the recommendations. I have written them down and will check into them. We haven't had kosher pastrami in Several months. My husband used to frequently go to NJ on business and he would stop at The Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock, NJ and bring back a few pounds. But the last time it was so darned fatty, plus it cost quite a bit more than Carnegie's. Oh yes, the rye bread, also potato salad and cheese cakeSmiley Happy.

Always ask for extra lean Kosher pastrami - the same with corned beef if you wish.

And some mustard from the deli.

That's the only way I've ever eaten it, as too much fat  (even just looking  at it) makes me queasy, and it's too icky-chewy.

You'll still get the moistness and fantastic taste, though.  

If you love potato knishes (savory mashed potato on the inside with an egg-washed firm outside 'shell'), they come in plain, broccoli, spinach, and other flavors.

And you can't miss the half-sour pickles, which are so crisp and refreshing and taste lke a garlicky cucumber.

Drooling for all of the above...

Valued Contributor

I was born and raised in New York and my dear dad worked in Manhattan.  When Mom and I would go into the theatre, Radio City, or to shop, Dad would always take us to lunch at either the Carnegie, Longchamps, Schrafts, or the Automat.  The last 2 were always my choices.  I used to love to look at the food behind the glass and put in the money to get the food.  Also, loved the ice cream treats at Schrafts.  We always got a tin of candy to take home.  The tins were pink and I loved them.  The Carnegie and Katz's were the best.  I'd get either corned beef or pastrami and the sandwiches were piled so high.  Love knishes.  I currently reside in Ohio and there is one Jewish deli here.  I ordered a corned beef sandwich and it was so thin...so unlike what I recall.  I asked for a knish and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.  I spoke to the owner who knew what knishes were but said they don't carry them as people here have no idea what they are. What people in this area consider 'fantastic' food floors me.  I haven't had 'real' pizza since moving here and they have no clue.  I'm definitely in another world and very much miss New York.  Thanks for the memories.   docsgirl