Respected Contributor

Re: To see or not to see...that is the question....

SeaMaiden......A BIG BARKING DOG like my good friend has !

When anyone goes to her door, her big dog jumps up against the glass french doors.

Lunging up against the door and standing very tall. It's enough to scare you right out of your shoes !

Once inside the house, he's the friendliest dog.    A GOOD BOY !

Respected Contributor

Use Trailcams and (because they are camouflage color) you can hide them easily in the bushes or trees. You might also add a few "video surveillance" signs and let the crooks wonder just what's up and who now has their pic.

Esteemed Contributor

If you put the camera up high enough, where nobody could just reach up and grab it, would be the best thing to do.

Respected Contributor

The barking dog is a good idea, but I think you also want to protect items outside your home, right?  I think I would hide the cameras as best I could without ruining visibility (if they're up too high, all you're going to see is the top of their heads).  I would also post signs at the front and back of the house "You are on Camera," or something like that.  If you can hook them up to your I-phone, you can watch remotely........a couple of my friends have that.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Depending on the location of the recorders, if a criminal sees them and can reach them? Chances are they can disable them in some fashion. Just because they cannot be seen, does not mean good video still cannot be taken.

Video cameras of this era can be as small as the head of a small nail, very easy to make them undetectable to criminals in a hurry. Criminals know many home owners put up "dummy" Security Signs and the same with cameras.

Where we live and the fact that nobody can draw a timeline of when I come and go? Criminals scout and get a read of who is in and who is out before they make their attempt. In our case, we live at the end of a long winding gravel road. One way IN and the same way OUT. 

Anyone eying our abode pretty much has to use our driveway to turn around as road is not wide enough to do a 180? Should they be unlucky enough to want to try our home? They might leave in a different condition than when they arrived. We used to call one of our friends "Feet First Freddie". We used to carry him out of many of our sometimes wild parties. Same might be true for anyone thinking this home to be an easy target.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have a fantasy of a recording of a chainsaw cranking up if someone enters my home and sets off the alarm.

NOTE:  Have thought of this for a long time, never done it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a security system and cameras outside of our home as well.  We have the very good ones that are infrared so we can still get a good picture in the dark.

If one is looking, they can definitely notice them.  They were strategically placed so we would be able to get the pic of anyone on our property, or trying to get in the front or back door.  There was really no way to "hide" them and still be able to see what we wanted to see. 

Valued Contributor

If you have concealed cameras, then yes, you could possibly get a good pic that may lead to the crooks' capture. A measure of gratification comes with that.  However, having a visible camera may prevent someone from even attempting to break in, thus saving you the hassle of damaged property, stolen goods, a trial, etc. My vote would be to put the cameras in plain sight; any deterrent - camera, barking dog, lights, noise - that encourages a criminal to go away is a good thing, isn't it? (They may think they're stealing a camera, but wouldn't they wonder if there was another camera watching them do that?)  

Honored Contributor

You can say "smile, you're on bandit camera".

Respected Contributor

Whichever way you decide to go, put up signs on the windows/door that say the property is under video surveillance at all times.