Respected Contributor

Re: To Retirees, Homebody or Rather Be On The Go

I was on a paid for tour of St. Peter's in Rome.  On our way, the tour guide looked over our heads to some people in the back of the tour who has stopped by.  Elegantly, he said, "I must ask you to leave.  You see, these people, they have paid for my voice and you have not."

Trusted Contributor

Such a wonderful thread, I have enjoyed all the comments and I feel less like a social oddball so thanks! I am 68 and I have enjoyed many things the world has offered in my earlier years  but I am never happier than when I am home. I no longer have a husband and my closest friends live elsewhere but I feel so lucky to live on a small lake in a lovely little home where I am content to be a homebody most of the time. Those close to me unintentionally make me feel like there is something wrong with such a solitary life but I never fail to find many stimulating things to do each day. I know some people love to be on the go and thrive from the energy they get being around other people so I am so happy to see that there are people like me who can be stimulated by the things around them and feel happy with all the peacefulness their home environment gives them. Thank you, I feel less abnormal now.

Esteemed Contributor

@hullie   You  are not abnormal.  My sister just retired and has to get out at least every other day for  she goes nuts.  She cannot fathom how I can stay at home for days at a time.  That's about the only thing we differ on.  

Trusted Contributor

I like to go out and about somewhere every day, to keep active and have some variety in my life. But come evenings,  I like to just be at home. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

The older I get the more I want to stay home. I did go out to lunch last week and had  a good time but I'm good for while now.  I was on the go for years first with kids, added working full-time.  I retired and the 1st year was DH's illness and a constant stream of Dr. visits and hospitals. Then my stroke, hip replacement etc. I'm tired. Seriously, there have been weeks when I didn't go farther than my porches. DD yells at me all the time, but I'm happy at home.

Anyone else a real homebody?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

YES!  Same here!  I have only been retired for a few months --- and seriously --- I am still recovering from all those years of being on the clock and being constantly on the go!  Working, working, working and when not working --- trying to juggle housework, family stuff, etc.  

Now --- I am trying to catch up on all the house stuff I neglected.  

I hope once I get all of this stuff done that I can just relax the way I really want to!

I do enjoy an occasionall outing, but for the most part I want to be home!

So, I would say for me --- it's 90% homebody and 10% on the go! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Becoming a caregiver to a dear 90 yo with dementia and my treasured grandchild who was born with a physical challenge has tied me to the hearth much more than I’d prefer to be. 

Thank God for the tuba!

Esteemed Contributor

I find I don't have the energy I had 10 years ago.  If I go out in the am, it pretty much sucks my energy for the day and I get little done at home.  I guess I sort of pick my days out knowing I won't do much the rest of the day.  I think I am quite happy at home for the most part.  I like to putter.