Respected Contributor

Re: To Retirees, Homebody or Rather Be On The Go

I am at home most of the time because there really is not much to do around here, shopping is limited and restaurants are the chain things.   I am not a beach person.  If I had my way I would go out to eat everyday for lunch and then go to a beautiful and safe park and walk and walk (no safe or beautiful parks around here).  I guess I hate where I live but I am stuck so no point in going out.  My husband has health problems and he is happy to eat, sleep, eat, sleep.  He says he cannot walk but yet he goes to super walmart and spends two hours there walking around.   I guess if I could I would go, go, go as long as I am able and then when I am not I would then be happy sitting and lying around at home.  

Esteemed Contributor

We traveled some when we both worked, and we travel more now.  I wanted a "purpose" after I retired so, within weeks, I took classes to (1) refresh my landscaping degree and (2) become a Master Gardener.  I'm busy with with events, committees, and maintaining city gardens.   But, I can be a hermit and stay home a few days at a time.  I need time alone to recharge my batteries.   As long as I'm healthy, I'm going to be active.  I turned 70 last winter and refuse to just sit.   

BTW, I was also a legal secretary.  Loved it and hated it.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I think having access to social media and being able to shop online has made retirement feel less isolated than it may have seemed years ago; I love to read what all of you say in these forums! So nice to compare notes!

@lovesrecess   Yes. Social media has made a huge difference.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I'm a bit of both.  I am still finding my way, but I absolutely enjoy being retired--it will be two years in June.

Still sorting out what direction to take but I do definitely enjoy not having to "get up and go" to adhere to an employer's necessary schedule, demands, and whims.  Did that conscientiously for decades.  Now it is my time to explore facets of my own personality and path that were distinctly set aside in order to earn my keep.

Relocated to be closer to grown children and my grandsons and that has been a mixed bag, so to speak.  Often miss southern CT and the distance from long-established friends and familiarity with that area for so many years.  Don't enjoy one of my grown children's attitude that our roles are somewhat reversed in hers or his mind--I'm still able to act and get around mentally and physically, but children don't always agree with my choices--so be it.  

That time will probably come that they need to "call the shots" but not yet.  I know they do love me so it will work out fine, but I do stand my ground and try to be mindful of what I say to avoid conflict or confrontation of any kind, which I loathe, unless it is for a social cause, i.e. injustice.  

I am a liberal activist. I have not engaged in any real political or union activity (which was one of my passions all my teenage and adult life) since the move because in DC we don't have the accustomed representation that is the norm in the fifty states.  That has been a major adjustment that I did anticipate but I have not yet fully come to terms with it yet.

I enjoy my home and love to read, cook, and garden.  I am able to be content with myself and love some solitude, which my significant other doesn't always understand.  He craves "togetherness" 24/7.    

Now that the weather is better I will be "out and about" more and hope to begin to make a few lasting friendships here.  And I'm also searching for a volunteer opportunity that would be a good "fit" for me.  Time will tell and I'm still adjusting and for the most part enjoying this part of my life path.

Respected Contributor

Not retired yet, hope to next year, but I've already thought about ways to keep myself busy and get out of the house one or two days a week...and I think that will be enough.

I'll have to make myself do that, so as not to become too much of a hermit! After 45 years of working full-time, though, I'm really looking forward to being home a lot more.

Respected Contributor

My DH & I have been retired for many years.  Both of us quit working at 55.  I would love to have more time at home that isn't busy.  Between exercise classes, sewing projects, helping friends who are ill or just had surgery, grandkids, and the ranch that needs to be checked on weekly, we are very busy.  I have to schedule time at home or when we travel.  That being said, I know we could change things, but we really don't want to.  Staying active keeps the mind and body from getting stale.  

Honored Contributor

One can stil work, and be a homebody.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @I like my home too.I find that it is getting more difficult for me to get it all together at once so I can go out...feeling good,hair decent,right outfit and finally energy needed to activate my personality to entertain and converse.Sometimes it seems too much but then I go and have the best time and wonder why I feel the need to be so hard on myself.

@dex   @CrazyKittyLvr2 You describe me to a T.  I know I have errands to run today, but it is a real chore to talk myself into it.  Yes, getting it all together.  Seems like such a chore......so much easier to stay home.  Once I'm out, I seem to be okay, but it's getting there.

I find myself not going to church because I don't want to be in crowded spaces.  Never used to be like this.  I guess I feel safe at home.

Honored Contributor

I am a homebody now.  It does not interest me to be out and about.  We go to the grocery, church and maybe an errand here and there otherwise we are home.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I'm a bonafide homebody.  I'm like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, "there's no place like home".  I do like to go out or visit with freinds, and some day trips but that's about it for me.  I love my home, pets and gardens.