Honored Contributor

Re: To Retirees, Homebody or Rather Be On The Go

I would much rather be on the go and I am working on regaining my health like it was before some health challenges. My husband just retired in November and I feel like I am holding him back because he is very athletic and loves to travel. He never complains, though, and is so sweet about everything. Hopefully, this time next year, I will be a lot more active and not held back by a lack of energy due to some of the meds I must take. Working on cutting them down to a more manageable level.

We have a lovely home but I am more of a "people" person and enjoy being around people...

Respected Contributor

I became ill about 2 years ago and was forced to retire.I am doing pretty good now,I love being home.Save a lot of money on gas LOL.We have a small vacation place that we go to anywhere from two to four times a month depending on the time of year.Three dear friends have passed that we did a lot of things with and I was looking forward to spending more time with them,but that wasn"t in the cards.I don"t mind going to the grocery store but why are there always people having family reunions there?Five to ten people standing around oblivious to the fact they are blocking the aisles? As Dorothy said, "there"s no place like home "

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden MutualHeart

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity   All true!

Honored Contributor

Both!  I need to get out & do things with friends...often go to lunch at least once a week (or dinner), a movie or some shopping.  I play Mah Jonng 2x a month and belong to a neighborhhod book cub.  I also have a small home based Etsy business to keep me busy and bring in a few extra dollars.

However it always feels good to come back home after gong out....only I would be so bored if I never went out to be with other people. 

DH is disabled but can still get around a bit.  He doesn't need me to be with him 24/7 so he likes to pursue his own hobbies.  We try to go to the beach once a week during the summer and a movie occasionally over the winter just to get out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After working at a stressful job for 40 years I love being home. Coming and going as I please on my timeline is great. I have lunch with friends, go shopping and out for breakfast with my sister, go on day trips with the senior center, and attend church services. Will probably go to class reunion in Aug. But, I love to be home where I can read, putter on projects, go for walks and anything else I feel like doing. There are still appointments like Dr., dentist, eye exams, oil changes, haircuts. Things like grocery shopping and home maintenance are also in the mix of things along with going to the library, bank, post office, and pharmacy. I do not like driving so days where I can stay home are the best. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Even a simple trip to the grocery store irriates me. People who don't know how to drive or are on the phone, people blocking the aisle in stores etc.  I would rather stay home. saves on the blood pressure.

My niece and her DH wanted us to go with her family, my sister (her Mom) and BIL to Disneyworld.  They would pay for all lodging. Nope, appreciate the offer but the thought all the crowds and the hoopla is not for me.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I just came back from Disney World a few weeks ago.  My brother & I went to visit mom down in south Florida which we do every year so we decided to make a side trip up to Disney & Kennedy space Center.  It had been many years (since my kids were little) since I went.  

Yes it was VERY crowded but what worked for us was to take an UBER to & from the park (we did Epcot), got there early and plan ahead.  We only did the one park in addition to the space center.  The next day we just went to Disney Springs had a nice lunch then relaxed by the pool at our hotel.  We stayed at the new Margaritaville Resort which was very nice.

By only going to one park it was much more relaxing then if we went to several over many days!  We plan on doing this again next year.

I look at it this way...someday I won't be able to do the things that I can do today.  Sure there are some things I just don't want to do at all...(you'll never find me skydiving!).  However I don't want to get to be my mother's age at 92 and look back with regret not doing the things that I would have wanted to do & create wonderful memories.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   Great story!  Your experience at Versailles reminds me of the time (actually 2xs) when it was my DH who was so engrossed with a tour that he lagged behind.  Once it was touring several of the Newport "Cottages" in RI and our tour guide mentioned that "funny backwards walking man"...yes it was my DH...the kids thought that was very funny!

The second time we had taken our daughter on a guided college tour at the University of Delaware.  There were many tours going on at the same time and all of a sudden I noticed DH way in the distance with another tour! ...UGH!  Had to keep an eye on him all the time!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 Your husband was probably what mom's called 'wanderers' as a kid.  My youngest daughter (now 38) was a wanderer.  I never knew where she was.  She'd scare me to death.  To this day she has no fear, going off on her own.

Your husband also reminds me a little of the way I am.  I want to see everything.  That's how I get lost from everyone.

True story.  We were in the Sistine Chapel.  My late husband was always in a hurry.  He kept whispering, "Come on!  Let's go".

I said, "Look up!  Do you see that".  Just about that time I walked right into someone!  Ha!

My husband was one of the smartest people I'd ever met.  He remembered everything.  When we were in Italy he had us in these weird places holding each other up looking into windows.

Wanna know what we were looking for?  Well, he wanted to see the REAL painting of the Last Supper.  He'd read that there were actually two paintings of the Last Supper and he was determined to find the OTHER one.

He read constantly.  He'd read somewhere where there was actually another Last Supper that was much smaller.  He was determined to find it.  Of course we didn't.  He said it was because we ran out of time??!!  Ha!

Honored Contributor

I guess for me it is moderation in all things ,once again. I love to be home ,but ,we get out everyday for a walk, and the gym. We go to  the movies, and on lots of day trips, scripture class, pilgrimages etc

We have breakfast out everyday. As far as traveling forget it. I want my own bed and bathroom. I don't care how nice the accommodations are, it isn't mine, and it isn't home . I am glad I don't have to travel any more