Regular Contributor

Re: To Retirees, Homebody or Rather Be On The Go

Homebody.  Favorite activity is long walk with the dogs.  My sister, who is go, go, go visits and I hate the activity.  So, I vote homebody.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yep, I am a homebody..... and loving every minute of it.  Many years on the go raising children, taking care of a home, working full-time, etc. and doing much of it by myself after divorce.....so the peacefulness of listening to and watching the birds and wildlife daily makes me a joyous homebody!

Esteemed Contributor

Even a simple trip to the grocery store irriates me. People who don't know how to drive or are on the phone, people blocking the aisle in stores etc.  I would rather stay home. saves on the blood pressure.

My niece and her DH wanted us to go with her family, my sister (her Mom) and BIL to Disneyworld.  They would pay for all lodging. Nope, appreciate the offer but the thought all the crowds and the hoopla is not for me.

Honored Contributor

My life is a balance.  Enjoy my volunteer activities at church and discussion groups, but am comfortable in and around my home.  I always feel safer when at home and off of the highways. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I enjoy being home but like to have a few scheduled activities every week, e.g., exercise classes, volunteeing.   And my "territory" is within a 2 miles radius of my condo.  No schlepping around the city for me.

DH and I have traveled extensively for the past 40+ years but now my enthusiasm for it has disappeared.  Too many hassles, too crowded, too dangerous.  Very happy we did it years ago when it was a lot easier.

Trusted Contributor

I was just having a conversation with a friend the other day telling her that although I enjoy getting together with family and friends, I really like coming home to my quiet and peaceful place.  I, like so many who have posted, worked for nearly three and a half decades and continue to work part time now.  How I got anything done when I was working full time is beyond me.  Some people can't be by themselves and always have to be around others.  That doesn't bother me.  I always find things to do and if I just want to watch tv or read a book, then that's what I'll do.  I've also found my circle of friends has gotten smaller as I choose to be with those who are upbeat and positive about life.  My career required me to deal with all different types of people and sometimes it was overwhelming dealing with the difficult ones.  So I guess for me keeping a balance of outside activities along with finding solace at home when I need it is a perfect combination.  

Super Contributor

Homebody 100%. I retired from a very stressful job and love being at home doing what I want to do when I want to do it. I have caller ID so I don't have to answer the phone if I don't want to. I enjoy meeting my friends once a month for a long leisurely lunch, but am always glad to get home and take the bra off.

Respected Contributor

Right now, we are on the go daily, driving about 90 miles each way because of the illnesses of my elderly mother and aunt. Busy, busy. We think things will settle down a bit un May, Before this, we retired early to our lake house and were happy to just be here and not be packing to go anywhere. We both travelled in our careers. I was on the road at times every other week, flying all over the country and occasionally to Europe. It was great but I longed for quiet time at home. To me, packing a suitcase and getting on a plane equals work. Living at the lake is like being “away” all year long, anyway. We chose to stay in our adopted state because we love all four seasons—especially winter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whatever works. I'd rather rake a lawn than go shopping. A homebody by nature I guess. However, I'll happily run into Subway for a carryout sandwich. That place has the best prices.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I've always been a homebody.  But I married someone who (it's as if he KNEW he would die quickly and at a relatively young age) loved new adventures and sharing them with me and his girls.

So, with that in mind, the poor man had to drag us all over Europe (19 hotels in 29 days)...the Northeast and Western part of the US.  

You name it (weird or not) I've probably seen it.  I saw the house with doors to nowhere.  I saw Stonehenge.  I saw Shakespear's birthplace (my favorite place in the world).  I saw the largest ball of twine.  I saw 'the secret spot' somewhere in California...???

I won't bore you with all of the places, beautiful, weird, famous and not so famous I saw...I always followed up the rear.

The phrase, "Where's Mom?"  is famous in our family.  I wanted to take it all in so I was always behind.

Ever hear of someone getting kicked out of Versailles?  Well, I was.....kinda...  Here's a quick explanation...I wondered off from my family while visiting there.  I ended up with a group of people.  A man was explaining something to the group and he asked if there were questions.  Well, I've always been curious about everything, so I asked a question.  Then he looked at me, pointed his finger and said, (loudly), "Did you pay to join this group"?  I said, "Well, no, I didn't know I had to pay to walk around here.  I just walked up and you were all standing here.  You asked for a question and I had one.  What's wrong with that?"

I'll interject here....I know it sounds cheeky, but I was angry too...I'm outgoing but not when about 20 heads are looking in my direction as if I've murdered someone....

OK, where was I?  So, immediately a guard comes up from somewhere and takes my arm and says, "Mam (sp), you'll have to leave now".  

I said, "Why?  I don't know where my family is.  They'll be worried about me".  He said, "Then go over to the front and wait for them".  

No worries.  He walked me over and I found a seat and waited.  Met some really nice people who were 'on holiday' and they felt sorry for me.  Made some new friends.  Usually do wherever I go.

Anyway, that was one little tiny story of one of our many trips.  Life with me is never boring, I can tell you that.  

That was when I was a little younger and did my best to keep up with my family.  These days well, if my husband was alive he'd be in Denver hiking and skiing with our youngest daughter and I'd be there watching her dog.  I'd be very happy and so would they.

My late husband loved, loved good food.  He was in physical condition like The Rock.  He worked out every day.  We were like oil and water.  But boy did we love each other.  We were very, very competitive ....but only with each other.  

Anyway, once again, I've gone off on this.  All you asked was if I was a homebody.  I am but if he was alive, he'd probably do his best to TRY to drag me wherever he'd go.  I'd find a place to sit and talk to everyone in the room.  Then he'd finally come over and all of the way home he'd listen to stories I'd learned from the friends I'd met while he was out doing his thing.

That's how it worked so well.  He loved hearing about other people but he was so busy taking in all of life, he didn't have time to listen THEN, but he used to say he liked the way I would tell about them.

Maybe that why this marriage worked so well for 38 years.  We were teenagers when we married.  We'd still be married today.  It would have been 53 years this year if he'd still be alive.

We'll be together one day and (because I believe in reincarnation) I know we'll be together again one day.  Then eventually, if we're lucky, we'll end up in Heaven together.  Can't think of much better...