Honored Contributor

Re: To Recline Or Not?

[ Edited ]

Very simple-both needed to put on their big boy/girl pants and work out a solution.

He could have kindly asked her to raise her seat a tad; and she could have done so.

His actions were bullying but her lack of meeting him half way was bullying, too.

She didn't need that seat all the way back.  She did it because she could.

Once it was an inconvenience a solution could have been reached.

We don't know if the man ended up with the last row by choice or by last minute ticket.  We don't know if the man was heading to a family crisis at the last minute or if he himself needed to get someplace quickly.  We don't know his story.

I do not condone his actions at all; but sometimes isn't is better to ask nicely and in return think about his discomfort and meet him halfway?

After all, she would lose nothing.  I find both of them equally at fault.

Nothing will come of this; she needs to put the chalk away-there are no victims here. 

It happened and now it's over.  Let it be.

And thus we no long fly.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

When I watched the TMZ  video she said she didn't report it to law enforcement because "they have bigger fish to fry" but now she wants his name maybe she wants to sue him( don't quote me on that) But I don't think a jury would give her any money because she could have just put the seat up.   to me he is hitting the seat to keep it from pushing the tray closed.   I guess you could read it different ways.  But if she is a teacher she should set a better example.

Valued Contributor
I think reclining is disrespectful. There is no room for it. There is barely room for sitting, let alone someone taking 3” of it to recline.
Honored Contributor

I don't recline all the way back, just enough for comfort.  I don't want to infringe on the person in back of me.  To be honest, I haven't had anyone in front of me totally recline their seat.  I think people don't do that unless the seat behind them is empty.  Flying is challenging enough as it is, most people don't want to make it worse.  I think both those passengers were jerks.  

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

Airline seats in the coach section of the plane should no longer recline.  Simple.  There is not enough space.  Airlines can solve this problem by removing that feature.  People are not courteous enough to care about the person behind.  

I agree, the seats should not recline fully.  No one wants someone lying their lap.  If someone is in such bad physical shape that they have lie down during a flight, they should fly first class or take an air ambulance.  We fly fairly often and I have to say, I've never had anyone in front of me fully recline their seat. Airlines probably can adjust the seats to prevent this but it would cost them money so they won't.    

Esteemed Contributor

I have a lower back problem & must recline a little, not all the way, in order to be comfortable.The airlines caused this problem by squeezing in more & more seats with little to no legroom.

I don't see how you can tell someone who paid for their reclining seat that they can't recline. At the same time instead of punching her seat the guy should have asked her to please move her seat up a bit.It was rude & arrogant of him to punch her seat.She may have worked it out with him.

Another way to handle it would have been to ask the flight attendant to try to get him another seat.I've been on planes where flight attendants asked for volunteers to switch with someone for various reasons.

Another point is that kids can sometimes be annoying to the person in front of them.My son was on a plane home from Miami last month. The kid in back of him kept kicking his seat.He asked the child politely to stop. He was ignored. He addressed the parents politely,they told him to "deal with it". My son then called the flight attendant who told the parents to either tell their son to stop or one of them was going to have to switch seats with my son so they could "deal with it". The kid stopped!!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The woman videoed it, because she wanted to escalate what had happened. She is no better than he is

@cherry   Agree.  She tweeted that she wants the FBI involved, and does not care.  She also said that the attendant threatened her by giving him a rum drink.  I'm not seeing the correlation there.

She now claims she had to see her doctor for x-rays, etc.  While I have sympathy for anyone in pain, it will be interesting to see if actual further damage was done.

She refers to the man as a "jackhole" (and perhaps he is) but her anger at the issue not being resolved while on the plane is driving her to be the vicitm.

Sometimes we all encounter people who annoy us; people who may even step a little hard on our toes.  The issue is how important is it.

He has since departed the plane and moved on.  She is still enraged over this-enraged at him, enraged at the attendant, enraged at the airline,  didn't want the police involved but wants the FBI (?).

I don't think this woman will be happy no matter the outcome.

Further damage to her spine would be a cause for further action; but nothing else, imo.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Gosh @Cakers3  wasn't she lucky? She hit a bonanza, just what her greedy heart desired

Respected Contributor

I wonder  if TMZ paid her to show that video and how much?   

Honored Contributor

Re: To Recline Or Not?

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3  as far as him being a jackhole, you know the old saying ,it takes one to know one, and a bigger one to find one...they deseve each other