Valued Contributor

Re: To Our Texas Friends in the Path of Harvey

[ Edited ]

Prayers to everyone. 

I paid some bills by phone today and to each representative I wished them safety in case they were in Texas. 

They were not but they all told me they had been praying for them.

There is such goodness in this country.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@garmer wrote:

Just upgraded to cat 4.

@garmer  This just totally changed the local forecast in my area.  Not good.

Is your home in danger of flooding, @Cakers3?

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I was hoping you would reply as I thought you were in Texas.

I pray your friends and family stay safe.

The devestation from Hurricane Sandy (NJ) is still being felt by many.  i know how hard it is when you try to reach a loved one and can't get thru. (I was in the panic mode knowing my younger son lived right in the path - thank god he was OK of course, he was displaced for 6 weeks)

prayers for everyones safety

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@garmer wrote:

Just upgraded to cat 4.

@garmer  This just totally changed the local forecast in my area.  Not good.

Is your home in danger of flooding, @Cakers3?

@tansy  Normally we do not get flooded-we have a slope downward compared to other areas.  But this flooding will be massive so we are keeping a prayer going. 

DS is higher up so I'm sure they will be ok.

Some other areas are more prone to higher water compared to us. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I can't imagine going through this for the sustained time they are saying this will happen in....it will die down a little when it hits land, but this monster is not going away....

Hurricane Charley in the end was classified as a CAT 3 hurricane, but our local airport registered winds of 170 mph-and the amenometer broke at that point...I have never been so scared in my life.....

We recovered.....love Jeb Bush-everything was in place, but this is a small town.....there are going to be so many people effected by this storm-the size-the scope-....We are going to be dealing with so many homeless-especially inland.....I don't even want to consider gas and oil prices....I would tell my friends living in the NE, lock into prices now......we are going to have serious damage to fossil fuel production-and we don't even know what lies ahead for winter....

Hugs-we need to take care of one another inthese times.....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Oh the little babies in NICU being evacuated earlier from the coast.  They didn't say anything about the parents being able to join them.  *sob*

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Spurt

I was hoping you would reply as I thought you were in Texas.

I pray your friends and family stay safe.

The devestation from Hurricane Sandy (NJ) is still being felt by many.  i know how hard it is when you try to reach a loved one and can't get thru. (I was in the panic mode knowing my younger son lived right in the path - thank god he was OK of course, he was displaced for 6 weeks)

prayers for everyones safety

@homedecor1

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Since you live in Florida you must know about the devastation loss of lives and destruction of homes/businesses.....Some areas never seem to recover!  

The newscasts for the coast have been quite alarming!  My friend was going to drive down there to help her step mom board up her home.  But was glad that instead she convinced her to put her dog in the car and drive up here instead....but  you know she must be anxious worrying about her house down in Port Aransas....but at least she's safe up here....I can't imagine those that stay to "ride out the storm, and protect their home"........you can replace items, can't replace lost lives........

We even got a notice from our COA and also from my insurance company about removing all items from outside that can become projectiles with strong winds ----patio furniture, potted plants, even wind chimes....I own all so spent my morning packing em up and putting them away in the storage shed in preperation for bad winds-

--I'd rather be safe than sorry.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ShowMe wrote:

My sister lives in San Antonio.  We were raised there and I moved away when I was 17.  Back in the very early 60's I went to SA to see my dad.  Hurricane Carla hit while I was down there.  Yes, the winds and rain in SA were awful at that time  That was all that was on the news.  I was only 21 at the time......yes, that was ages ago, but something a person doesn't forget.  

Am waiting to talk to my sister now.  She has been away from home all day.  

@ShowMe  I can imagine!  Hopefully your sister will be home soon and you will be able to talk to her periodically throughout this mess.

Evacuees are still rolling in on the busses and it looks like the airport might end up being a shelter, too.

Hope you are doing ok, too.

Thanks......finally heard from her.  We just hung up.  She was getting the weather as we were talking, and they were saying the rain is supposed to start at around midnight and all day through tomorrow.  

She will be ok as long as she stays home...... Never know which roads will be flooding......

Time for me to get some food into my tummy.

Nothing new with me......things are still the same.....treatments, and numerous doctor appointments for all of the stuff that has been caused by the treatments......   I am still fighting.....and will continue to.

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

We watched San Antonio newbie mayor Nirenberg on the Weather Channel.  He has a  lot on his plate right now.   Very impressed with his composure and plan of action.

Evacuees have already arrived last night in San Antonio so the coordination for residents and evacuees  is really great.

One thing I can say about San Antonio-they are always the first to step up to the plate. as they did during Katrina.  Watching all those busses rolling in during that time was awesome.

This time it's evacuees and residents; a bigger task but they've got this.

My sister lives in San Antonio.  We were raised there and I moved away when I was 17.  Back in the very early 60's I went to SA to see my dad.  Hurricane Carla hit while I was down there.  Yes, the winds and rain in SA were awful at that time  That was all that was on the news.  I was only 21 at the time......yes, that was ages ago, but something a person doesn't forget.  

Am waiting to talk to my sister now.  She has been away from home all day.  

I rode out Bula and Carla in Corpus....eye of the storm. Carla was very frightening. Bula was lots of rain...Carlo was scary winds...tore the city up pretty bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

Thank you all so much.  I just found gas after searching a while (a lot of stations are out), and got some groceries.  Not a slice of bread to be found on the shelves!  I felt lucky to find bottled water.  Smiley Happy 

Bread, soda and several other items were almost empty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**