Trusted Contributor

I agree that this is most likely a generational shift. As a boomer, I enjoy the format of the forum and shopping at the Q. My daughter, who is a Millennial, along with all her Millennial friends, abandoned Facebook years ago and has not and would not shop at QVC. Good luck to the Q with their current mindset trying to reel in her generation or the ones after that. It's not your mother's retail world out there these days. 😐

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Now that I think a bit about this dismissal of the forum, I realize that this is most likely a generational switch sort of thing.

The younger generation is probably more partial to using Facebook than an old-style format like this.  NOT THAT I WANT THIS ONE ELIMINATED!  Please keep it for those of us who are comfortable with this format.

However, I wonder if dropping the QVC Forum is part of adjusting to those who represent QVC's newest and most active buying population 

@golding76 

What I heard is the younger demographic has moved on from Facebook and is more into Tik Tok , You Tube and Instagram....I heard a millenial say that Facebook is for "old ladies"...........

Just Forget Facebook If You’re Trying to Reach Millennials

It's the generation that grew up with Facebook. But now, a survey of over a thousand Americans shows that the social platform that took over the internet at the turn of the millennium is losing its majority audience, predominately because of privacy concerns.

A whopping 77 percent of millennials say they’re concerned by Facebook’s use of personal data. A Pew study found that 44 percent of younger users (ages 18 to 29) say they have deleted the Facebook app from their phone since the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

Per a survey by Clever Real Estate, only 58 percent of millennials have bought a product through Facebook ads compared to 76 percent of adults aged 35 and up. Instagram and YouTube are closing the gap quickly with 55 percent and 51 percent of millennials buying from these platforms respectively.  Facebook is declining with Daily Active Users (DAU) in the U.S. and Europe.  But Facebook is adding an audience in the Asian Pacific locations....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: To David Rawlinson II

[ Edited ]

Spurt,

Well, then, I don't know why other than the elimination of the forum must be a cost-saving measure for something that is expendable.  It must be considered something so extraneous and with no merit.

Perhaps, years ago, they could see a correlation between forum chatter and sales; in fact, maybe they could read statements of intent to buy that directly translated into sales.

Now, there is a lot of personal chatter and bashing of hosts and goods.  QVC's final thought might be:  Enough, you ingrates!  

[By the by, although the Linea line did not represent a huge chunk of QVC's fashion lines, the ladies who bought Linea did pour a lot of money into QVC.  With that line now eliminated, I am sure they had weaker sales.]

Esteemed Contributor

You got it, @Spurt .

According to the young, Facebook is for 'old people'.

Help me remember; sometime early this year(?) there was a banner at the top of the forums, said something like Join us on Facebook.

It was not given a happy reception here.

They took it down after a day or two, and mods wrote a post apologising for any confusion.

I'll see if I can find it.

@riley1  the announcement David Rawlinson was coming aboard was made last July. I'd think the decision to discontinued these boards goes back at least that far.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Spurt,

Well, then, I don't know why other than the elimination of the forum must be a cost-saving measure for something that is expendable.  It must be considered something so extraneous and with no merit.

Perhaps, years ago, they could see a correlation between forum chatter and sales; in fact, maybe they could read statements of intent to buy that directly translated into sales.

Now, there is a lot of personal chatter and bashing of hosts and goods.  QVC's final thought might be:  Enough, you ingrates!  

[By the by, although the Linea line did not represent a huge chunk of QVC's fashion lines, the ladies who bought Linea did pour a lot of money into QVC.  With that line now eliminated, I am sure they had weaker sales.]

@golding76 

In one of his interviews in either the WSJ or Bloomberg Report Mike George mentioned that it was important for QVC to interact with customers through social channels that way it gets their audience connected to the website, and customers get exposed to QVC's ads and promos with whats on sale, what's new being offered, special deals  etc etc....(Im paraphrasing here but thats the jest of it all).....

JMHO but I dont think the comments about the hosts and QVC had anything to do with the Forums being eliminated....There's plenty of bashing and trashing on the host's personal Facebook Pages yet their focus on Facebook keeps increasing with more and more emphasis----- QVC's live shows are also broadcast on the host's Pages and now chats with the host on their Page when they arent on air., some shows even include a co-host or vendor rep for social meda interaction ....

I think QVC does not want to invest the money needed to upgrade the Forums and the cost to maintain and monitor the site when today's trends leads more towards modern technology and streaming.....but they are forgetting their customer base doesnt even like to stream Q2 from the website---Customers arent into streaming whether its because of  data limits imposed by their internet service or phone carrier, or other reasons....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

You got it, @Spurt .

According to the young, Facebook is for 'old people'.

Help me remember; sometime early this year(?) there was a banner at the top of the forums, said something like Join us on Facebook.

It was not given a happy reception here.

They took it down after a day or two, and mods wrote a post apologising for any confusion.

I'll see if I can find it.

@riley1  the announcement David Rawlinson was coming aboard was made last July. I'd think the decision to discontinued these boards goes back at least that far.

@x Hedge 

You are totally right there was a bit of an uproar and concern at that time...about that new FB Page

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 

There's the cost of whatever they pay that IT crew to keep swapping our names, making reviews invisible, and changing time zones in the program guide.

Then of course there are the costs of staffing the mods positions.

I'm sure there are legal fees associated with this, and the cost of ongoing security associated with customer info/passwords.

OTOH, a high percentage of my purchases were influenced by comments from fellow posters. 

I have things in my house I just love, and I never would've bought them but for posts here.

A feature being complained about may be just the feature that makes it right for me.☺

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@golding76 I'm 73 and doubt that the "younger generation" does any QVC shopping! So I doubt changing formats will attract them.

I know my 20 something GD wouldn't be caught DEAD watching Q or buying from them.

@Love my grandkids 

So funny that you said that. I said the same thing earlier about my niece who is in her 20's. I don't think that I could even pay her to watch any shopping channel. LOL

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I wonder if he's read founder Joe Levine's mission statement for QVC?  Those were the q's Golden Days which everyone heading the company since has strayed farther and farther away from.😢

Are you talking about Joseph Segal?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Regular Contributor

I don't believe for one minute that sales will go up by trying to move all of us over to Facebook. I see sales declining and accounts closing.