Esteemed Contributor

Re: To Close for Comfort at H-E-B

@BlueFinch wrote:

@sunala It's the food store chain that the OP was speaking of.  It's big in TX. Somewhat of a monopoly.  Case in point, I have four of them just brief drives from me. Yet, as big as they are, they're not stocked, which speaks to just how crazy this thing is getting.  

Thanks, @BlueFinch. I hope you have another store where you can shop. Good luck.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@BlueFinch wrote:

My HEB is a mess!  I haven't been in two weeks, right before madness struck. But, I have driven by a few times and there's not even any parking spaces. Some are even parking across the street.  

Friends tell me that it's still very poorly stocked. I'm going to continue to avoid the place, until I hear otherwise. There's no need to enter a panic buying scene, only to leave empty handed, of the things I really need. 

I'm disgusted with people, right now, and questioning their moral compass. The stores aren't going to close. If people had been buying typical amounts for a week, or two, it would be safer for all, and there would be product for all.

Instead, they're grabbing everything in sight, while seniors and disabled are having to ration and, in some instances, go hungry. I hate to think what would happen, if we had a crisis greater than this one.  

@BlueFinch- out of curiosity, what is HEB?

@sunala 

HEB is our grocery store chain (the only major one) here in Central & South Texas ----HEB drove all the other national chains away by undercutting them....We do have Walmarts/Super Target/Trader Joe/Sams and Costco....but HEB is the "king"....It is named after the CEO, Henry E Butt Sr (yes, thats his real last name), and founded by his mother, Florence Thornton Butt in 1905 

In January 2020 the National Data Science firm Dunnhumby ranked San Antonio-based H-E-B LP as the No. 1 grocer in the U.S. for the first time.  H-E-B has more 400 stores in Texas and Mexico and annual sales of about $28 billion

The 2020 ranking of top U.S. grocery chains are:

1. H-E-B
  2. Trader Joe’s
  3. Amazon
  4. Market Basket
  5. Wegmans
  6. Costco
  7. Aldi
  8. Sam’s Club
  9. Walmart
  10. Publix
  11. WinCo
  12. Fresh Thyme Farmers Market
  13. Sprouts Farmers Market
  14. Shop Rite
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn 

Try Instacart to deliver your groceries from HEB  .....   they found an HEB that was well stocked....and the only thing I didnt get on my list yesterday was eggs... (totally out)

HEB also offers FAVOR to Seniors to shop and pickup your groceries curbside....then your S/O wont have to fight the crowds or be exposed....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

H-E-B is awesome.  When Katrina hit New Orleans, they rolled out hundreds (not an exaggeration) of 18-wheelers including pharmacy trucks, trucks outfitted as kitchens, and of course needed supplies to Louisiana where they aren't even in business.   H-E-B is doing the best they can currently.  The consumers are causing problems with the hoarding.  H-E-B is a good steward.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Valued Contributor

HEB is great! It is clean, has low prices and offers just about everything, except clothes. I ordered curbside last week. The first date available was yesterday. They made one substitution for half and half. As I drove off, there wasn't a line and few people walking in. Last Saturday, when it was crazy, I bought groceries at Target. It was a ghost town. I got everthing I needed.