Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of paying extra for bad tasting organic fruit and vegetables

I buy only organic.  I agree with Marian, it is not all alike.  Buy only fruit or produce in season.  I know it is hard to do, but if not it is just tasteless junk IMO.  That is because although organic is strictly graded on farming methods and regulations, that doesn't stop them from picking green to ship them across the world to us.  I do not buy Whole Foods produce as a rule, most of it is from overseas because it is cheaper, then they mark it up higher.  They bring in organic tomatoes from Israel, South America and all over.I can't believe it.  We live in a part of California that was once the produce provider to the US.  Although homes now rest where orchards once were, we grow excellent tomatoes, strawberries, brocoli, etc.  So why does Whole foods bring 80% of the produce from overseas?  Also, some organic can be greenhouse grown to regulate weather. That stuff is no good either.  Yes, it grown organically, but it is crapppppola

If you stick to locl, in season produce you will love it.  I so agree that it can be tasteless when out of season and imported.

Conventional produce isn't good wither.  It is GMO'd beyond recognition.  Yes, it looks good, it keeps longer...but it has no flavor either.

Honored Contributor

I only buy organic.  I am lucky that between Wegmans and Mom's Organic I can find just about everything I need in organic.  But as stated, not all organic is equal.  I have purchased nasty organic produce at Target and Walmart in an emergency.

There is a difference in taste, for me.  Organic onions do not make me cry.  I cut up an entire bag of onions one day.  Organic celery is the most amazingly sweet and fragrant thing on the plant.  Who knew?  Organic bananas are night and day from conventional.  Wegmans had an organic banana issue one day and so I bought conventional and regretted it.  I ended up goign back the next day and buying organic ones.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:
I've heard that it's a waste of money to buy organic fruit or veggie items that have a thick skin or peel. This includes bananas, apples, oranges, cucumbers, etc. The pesticides won't penetrate them, and you can wash them thoroughly anyway. I'm not an expert re. this, but it seems to make sense to me.

****Yes, you are talking about the "Clean 15."

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I buy only organic.  I agree with Marian, it is not all alike.  Buy only fruit or produce in season.  I know it is hard to do, but if not it is just tasteless junk IMO.  That is because although organic is strictly graded on farming methods and regulations, that doesn't stop them from picking green to ship them across the world to us.  I do not buy Whole Foods produce as a rule, most of it is from overseas because it is cheaper, then they mark it up higher.  They bring in organic tomatoes from Israel, South America and all over.I can't believe it.  We live in a part of California that was once the produce provider to the US.  Although homes now rest where orchards once were, we grow excellent tomatoes, strawberries, brocoli, etc.  So why does Whole foods bring 80% of the produce from overseas?  Also, some organic can be greenhouse grown to regulate weather. That stuff is no good either.  Yes, it grown organically, but it is crapppppola

If you stick to locl, in season produce you will love it.  I so agree that it can be tasteless when out of season and imported.

Conventional produce isn't good wither.  It is GMO'd beyond recognition.  Yes, it looks good, it keeps longer...but it has no flavor either.

*****Yes, I agree 100%!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Farm fresh is great, but organic produce is a prudent buy for some fruits and veg due to pesticides, as others have said.  Here are the "dirty dozen" + 2 they added, with the amount of pesticides that have been found on them.  I don't know if they mean on a single piece of produce, or just the different pesticides that can occur.  I found this on the Good Housekeeping site.

apples    45+

peaches  60

nectarines (esp. imported ones)  33

strawberries  40

grapes  50  (this includes grapes used in wine)

celery  60

spinach 50

sweet bell peppers and hot peppers   49

cucumbers   86

cherry tomatoes (no number given)

snap peas (esp. imported ones--no # given)

potatoes   30

lettuce   50

blueberries  50+

They also recommended organic milk and meat, as regular milk and the fatty parts of meats retain pesticides.

If I understand correctly, the pesticides are part of the fruit or veg and not only on the surface.

I buy organic when I can--it is very hard with tomatoes and potatoes, though.  I have my best luck at Fresh Market--don't like the produce at Whole Foods.  Greenwise, the organic branch of Publix, is still expensive but a tad less so than Fresh Market where I live.

Occasional Contributor

The only produce that has a GMO variety is sweet corn.  There are no other GMO fruits and vegetables.  Apples are in research to prevent browning but they are not on the market. 

Also organic farmers use "natural" pesticies.  Since they are not as effective they use  lot more. They are also dangerous.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:
I've heard that it's a waste of money to buy organic fruit or veggie items that have a thick skin or peel. This includes bananas, apples, oranges, cucumbers, etc. The pesticides won't penetrate them, and you can wash them thoroughly anyway. I'm not an expert re. this, but it seems to make sense to me.

Most people, like me do not buy organic foremost for the pesticide issue.  There is more to it than that.  Organic food has not been genetically engineered like conventional.  There is also a matter of sustainable farming, and reputable water usuage.

For me it is mainly the exclusion of GMO food..  GMO food is not only tasteless, there is a ethic and moral issue.IMHO.  Everyone has a different point of view.

Honored Contributor

@Sunny5013 wrote:

The only produce that has a GMO variety is sweet corn.  There are no other GMO fruits and vegetables.  Apples are in research to prevent browning but they are not on the market. 

Also organic farmers use "natural" pesticies.  Since they are not as effective they use  lot more. They are also dangerous.

Shoekitty said

Are you saying the only produce that is GMO is sweet corn?  If so, that is not true.  Where did you read this.? 

BTW, most organic farmers use insects, herbs, plants and such as disease prevention.  I live near many organic farms.

Honored Contributor

I buy only organic and would give up something else if I couldn't afford the luxury.

Food is first and foremost numero uno for us.  Good food.

I've had many people sitting at my table say that organic tastes so much better.  I would never say that.  Some food is hit or miss. 

Yesterday I bought 3 nectarines at a grocery store I shop at in the summer time and they were delish.  All three of them. 

I will go back tomorrow and buy a lot more.  Then we'll try the peaches at just two or three at a time.

I cringe when people say you're wasting your money on organic.  That would be like me telling them they spent too much on their car---cause it's ugly.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, all organic food is not created equal. I find that I like the taste best of fruits and vegs from my CSA. They are almost always better tasting that organic stuff I have purchased from Wholefoods or even FreshMarket.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK