Regular Contributor

Tired of All the Skin Care Line Hype

Is anyone else tired of the endless skin care TSVs and general presentations?  Every line is the latest and the greatest and the clinicals show this and that, and every host swears by line A, line B, line C, etc.  How can it possibly be that a particular host uses only line A, but then when line B comes on - well, they swear by line B, and so on for every line on any particular day.  If all of these potions were so magical and helped people regain their youthful complexions, why would people still need to keep trying other ones?  Not saying that some of this stuff doesn't help some people, and I'm not putting down any particular line....if they work for you, fine.  But the hosts swearing by each line of the day is getting annoying already.  And....the prices for some of this stuff??  My mother rest in peace used Ponds cold cream all her life and had the most beautiful skin.  Just saying.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Tired of All the Skin Care Line Hype

It may help to put this in context. You are watching a brand ambassoador (sales person)who is at work. Her job is to sell as much product as possible. The QVC host (sales person) is also working and their job is also to sell as much product as possible. 

Beauty products have high profit margins, especially the more expensive ones. It is the job of the two people on air to convince viewers that their product will make a difference in how they look and feel. These companies do a lot of research to figure out what works. The show producer is tracking real time sales, and giving feedback to the host as to which phases drive sales.

So, enjoy a shopping channel for what it is. If you want undbiased information and reviews, there is plenty available on line. 

Esteemed Contributor

Live long enough and you will hear it all.  Just take a look at the gals who bought beauty items and promises in the 1960's.  Did it help them not to age or look aged?  No.  Each generation has the same ol hype fed to them.  Okay, so we know to stay out of the sun and use moisturizer.  That is about all that really can be done short of invasive surgeries.    

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

It's okay with me.  Because I refuse to watch a single second of that silliness.  I understand that there are women who believe in those sales pitches, especially of there's a Dr in the name.  Those shows are for them and I don't any problems with that.  QVC is retailer, they sell what people want.  I'm not in the market for any of those miracle skincare regimen's, so I just don't watch the shows.  It's not that I don't take care of my skin, I cleanse and moisturize and I've been a makeup girl all my adult life.  I don't leave home without it.  I'm just a realist.  There are no topical creams, lotions, serums or whatever capable of erasing the effects of time.  I accept that.  I'm not going shell out $200 plus for a glorified moisturizer.  That's just me.  What others believe or choose to do with their money is up to them.   

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's okay with me.  Because I refuse to watch a single second of that silliness.  I understand that there are women who believe in those sales pitches, especially of there's a Dr in the name.  Those shows are for them and I don't any problems with that.  QVC is retailer, they sell what people want.  I'm not in the market for any of those miracle skincare regimen's, so I just don't watch the shows.  It's not that I don't take care of my skin, I cleanse and moisturize and I've been a makeup girl all my adult life.  I don't leave home without it.  I'm just a realist.  There are no topical creams, lotions, serums or whatever capable of erasing the effects of time.  I accept that.  I'm not going shell out $200 plus for a glorified moisturizer.  That's just me.  What others believe or choose to do with their money is up to them.   

Ditto that QVC is just a retailer.  Just a retailer.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

If you have every seen a close of of some of the hosts, they have some pretty deep lines and wrinkles and and that is okay.  They all look lovely regardless.  I believe them when they say they use some of the products they present.  Age, gravity, the environment etc., takes it toll and in my opinion there isn't a topical treatment product that is going to reverse that process. 

Honored Contributor

I don't watch often enough to be tired of them. I turn it off if I'm not interested.

Valued Contributor

I agree! I don't watch either.  I have returned too many items that didn't work so I no longer give in.  I'm trying to age gracefully and try to take care of my skin.  I use Ponds cold cream cleanser  and Loreal moisturizer.  My dermaologist is in his 70s and doesn't have a wrinkle on his face.  He told me all he uses is vaseline on his face. 

Honored Contributor

Josie Maran had deep forhead wrinkles and the 60 year old model had many eye wrinkles................so I am to assume that the argan oil and the very expensive Milk product don't work on deep, course lines like she says....

In the still shot the model has nice smooth eye area skin, but in real life all the wrinkles are there.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

It's a shopping channel and Americans - more women than men -  spend over 30 billion dollars a year on beauty.  I'd say turn off the shopping channels if you don't want to hear all the beauty hype!

They all do it -- and the department stores place the bauty department where most shoppers have to see it whether they plan to shop beauty or not.  Ever see a beauty department pushed off to the side like the men's underwear department?  I never have.

I'm certainly guilty -  I've made just 2 Q purchases during the last 2 months - both beauty.  And my next purchase - most likely it will be another beauty item, a Miracle Worker mositurizerwhich is on AD due to repeat in late August.  No clothes, no jewelry, no food, no appliances - just beauty.  Further, these are all items for which I've tried substituting drugstore and returned to the brands and prices I like from QVC.