Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of All the Skin Care Line Hype

@Fashionista17 wrote:

Is anyone else tired of the endless skin care TSVs and general presentations?  Every line is the latest and the greatest and the clinicals show this and that, and every host swears by line A, line B, line C, etc.  How can it possibly be that a particular host uses only line A, but then when line B comes on - well, they swear by line B, and so on for every line on any particular day.  If all of these potions were so magical and helped people regain their youthful complexions, why would people still need to keep trying other ones?  Not saying that some of this stuff doesn't help some people, and I'm not putting down any particular line....if they work for you, fine.  But the hosts swearing by each line of the day is getting annoying already.  And....the prices for some of this stuff??  My mother rest in peace used Ponds cold cream all her life and had the most beautiful skin.  Just saying.

I have used Olay Age Defying both day and night cream for decades on my face.  I buy it at CVS.  I am complimented on my youthful looking skin all the time.  One jar lasts me six weeks and costs $11.  I use it every day. 

Now maybe it's not the skin cream but just genes.  I do not know.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I use to spend a lot of money on skin care products. Now I use moisturizer, and not much more.
No skin care product can defy gravity. For that, one would need to undergo a medical procedure, be it a temporary improvement with injections, or something more permanent and radical, such as surgery.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not really tired of it because I don't listen to it. I think I watched all of 1 minute of Dana the other day.

DM used Ponds, too, and her skin is still so soft and lovely, though right now, all she uses is Ivory soap! I never knew what a blemish was because all my lovely aunts had beautiful skin. No sunscreen either, and they were out all the time.

For a good while now, I've disregarded what any of the hosts say, let alone the vendors!

Valued Contributor

I recently chose to retire early which has been great, but forced me to stop 2 things: 1. over-spending and 2. buying less expensive brands.  I now buy my face cleaner and moisturizers at Costco instead of Nordstrom of QVC and there is absolutely no difference in the way my face, eyes and neck look. In other words, the expensive brands weren't really doing anything.  They just made me feel good at the time that I was buying the best! Of course we all like pretty packaging which is sometimes all we're getting, that and a nicer shopping environment.   I like the Olay lines that I get for great pricing at Costco.

Regular Contributor

My grandmother and mother both washed with Dove and used Ponds. Neither EVER wore sunscreen and were often outdoors. Both had beautiful, soft flawless skin. 

Now we're told we "MUST" use a retinol every day. We "MUST" use a sunscreen every day. BB for this, CC for that.. Maybe it's time for us all to just go grab a jar of Ponds. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Cosmetics and skin care is ALL hype. Has been for decades, that's how they make money.

All you need is good basic skin care, and that generally does not come from a department store or a shopping channel. A good cleanser, toner, and moisturizer.

Cosmetic formulas are all the same no matter what the designers or companies tell you. ALL the same. What you are paying for is the pretty packaging, ads, and what they pay the demonstrators in the department store to tell you how young or good you look.

Trusted Contributor

All the companies claims are the same. Get tired of the same old snake oil they try to sell. Dimished wrinkles! Let me tell you the only time I see Dimished wrinkles is when I look in the mirror and don't have my glasses on.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
I do love Argan Oil. I bought mine through Amazon, 100 percent pure, cold pressed, from Morocco, not animal tested. Bought it for a song. I use it under my day and night cream, and it makes my skin very soft. At my age, that's the best I can hope for!