Super Contributor

Re: Tips on Looking for an Apartment

The biggest complaints I had in my old apartment were parking and noise.  There were 4 parking spaces, and one was a H/C space, for 16 apartments.  The people who parked in the 3 spaces never moved their cars - I don't know how they paid their rent as they never seemed to work.  I had a garage, but it was quite a ways away from my door.  I was on the 2nd floor and the people above me were very loud, and the place wasn't insulated well, and I could hear their every step, and hear them flush the toilet, and argue.  So, if I had to move to another apartment, I would get the top floor (hopefully with an elevator) and make sure there was adequate parking or assigned spaces.  I did love the fact that I had full sized washer and dryer in my apartment - that was very nice to have.  Good luck.  Let us know how it works out for you.

Honored Contributor

Check to see if any apt. you look at has smoke detectors.

Turn on the water faucets to make sure you have decent water pressure.

And I agree: NO glass in the door for safety reasons.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ask your current landlord for a letter stating you are currently in good standing and have been for the duration of your lease. This will help you immensely especially if your credit is an issue.

I've only had two apartments but I made sure I was given a letter from my first landlord that I vacated the apartment in good standing. It's a great reference and covers you against fraudulent accusations from the landlord.

Make sure to take pictures when you vacate the apartment with a time and date stamp. You can also take a video.

Call one of the credit bureaus and advise you are looking for an apartment and therefore multiple entities will be running your credit. I believe they allow a 14 day window to count as one inquiry if you advise beforehand. This is what we did when we were car shopping in 2013. Just make sure you have them run your credit within the window.

Here is a link from Experian:

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/multiple-inquiries-when-shopping-for-an-car-loan/

Asking your landlord for other apartments he may have is a great idea. That is how my DH's company found their new business lease with the same landlord.

Before you sign a lease make sure to go to the building at different times of the day and days of the week. I almost signed a lease to an apt when I was really young in a really bad neighborhood because the first time I visited was early Saturday morning. It was entirely different at night and not safe for a single woman to live alone.

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a co-op that is very well maintained. If you can, ask potential neighbors what they think of the building before you move in. If you are dealing with a management company do ask tenants how they are treated. Ask how is the heat and hot water and if they are happy living there. Do check the water pressure.

Do see where your apt and its windows are in relation to the building. I've always ended up facing the back where the garbage is thrown. This time I'm higher up so it's ok but there will be more tendency for noise and vermin coming into your window if you're on a lower floor.

Make sure to sign a one year lease so you can leave if the apt doesn't suit you. Read the fine print very carefully before you sign so you know what will cause you to lose your deposit. For example, tenants are not supposed to move in on weekends but Monday to Friday 9-6 pm. However, many violate their lease on moving day and then plead with my super not to report them.

Ask how attentive is the super or if there is even a live in super. My first building didn't have one and my current one does. When I lost my outside key he gave me a copy the same day not to mention any emergencies like toilet etc. are taken care of right away.

Look to see if there is a laundry room and if so how big it is. If not, check where the nearest laudromat, bank, supermarket and pharmacy is. Being able to run errands near your home saves so much time. My first apt had nothing nearby. It made my life much harder especially when I was ill and living alone with no help.

Check to see where the nearest post office is. At least for me this matters since I do most of my shopping online.

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

@JBKO

Drive around apatment complexes in the evening when people get home from work to get a general 'feel' when the apartments are occupied.

Check out the cars (none on cinder blocks) and maintainance/use of facilities such as pools, parks, decks, common laundry areas, parking, etc.

If doors are supposed to be locked for security, check and see if they are. Check for good lighting, especially at night and around stairs and parking lots.

Honored Contributor

Visit at night, during the day many people are at work.

Night is when everyone is home and hopefully to tired to be rowdy.

Trusted Contributor

What a wealth of knowledge! You are all so kind and generous to share all these tips with me. Thanks a million!
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

@JBKO  If you look at any apt. complexes, you will have to pay a small fee for a cedit check.  If you are trying to avoid that, look for apts. that are is run by the landlord for one or two buildinigs.  You need to make a list of features you want such as central air, dishwasher, washer & dryer, outside activities, etc.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO, I have never lived in an apartment complex, but you have gotten many great ideas of what to look for.  My friend, who has lived in an apartment for many years and is a senior citizen, lives next to the office.  It is quiet at night and there rarely is any noise during the day.

If you have any medical issues, you may need an elevator instead of just stairs.  If you are a senior citizen, ask if there is a senior discount.  My friend did not know about one; but, when his apartment complex found out his age, he received a large and unexpected refund.

Take pictures of the apartment when touring, again when you move in, and once again when you move out.  Look for worn carpeting and make sure that the appliances work.   Find out if the complex pays for cable or any utilities,when/how often trash is picked up, and any other amenities.  If you have a pet, what is the pet fee and what size pet is permitted.  Where my friend lives (and I know several people who also live there), there is a continental breakfast every morning in the common room for all residents.  Another friend who lives there is a zumba instructor and gives free lessons there.  Look to see what is offered.

The most important thing is to make sure that you will feel safe living there by yourself.  Check the area out on a Saturday night on a nice evening and you will have a good idea of the neighbors.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

If there is no elevator and you aren’t on the ground floor think about carrying groceries and stuff up the stairs. It can get tedious. Sometimes a grocery delivery service might be available.