Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

My husband and I always tip 20% at least. We will continue to do so and have never considered what someone makes an hour or how much the food cost. For us it is all about the service we get.

@Kitlynn  Good points.  I agree even though we rarely eat out anymore-the tip is about service.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

What is interesting to me is that the whole rationale for the vote was that servers "deserve" minimum wage - along with the strong implication that they are not now getting it - which apparently is not entirely true.

So once they get what they "deserve," - by their definition, then suddenly when the realization sets in that this may be "exactly" what they will get - oh wait that's not fair.  We deserve minimum wage PLUS what we already get in tips too.'

Honored Contributor

I've been a server and you make way more in tips than you would ever make with a flat wage. Now, obviously this depends on WHERE you work. My in-laws dine out frequently but.....it's not at chain or fast food places. If they're going to go out to eat, it needs to be worth their time, their money and have amazing food with impeccable service. They tip but admit it's something they don't like doing and the US is the only place they have to do it (they travel quite often). If you think about the cost of their meal and the tip they leave (20%) compared to the cost of a meal at IHOP or Denny's and a 20% tip there, who is going to lose out in a HUGE way if this passes?

For those who work in fast food with no tips, it's great. According to local radio talk shows covering this, (I'm in MD), fast food workers would benefit the most while servers in high end establishments would be hurt; same with bartenders.

Consumers, however, are thrilled.  It's an interesting debate and will definitely change things within the industry on many levels.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Cakers3  Thank you.

For the record, I didn't even mention whether I would stop tipping, but apparently even suggesting that anyone might somehow makes me greedy and entitled.

What is interesting to me is that the whole rationale for the vote was that servers "deserve" minimum wage - along with the strong implication that they are not now getting it - which apparently is not entirely true.

So once they get what they "deserve," - by their definition, then suddenly when the realization sets in that this may be "exactly" what they will get - oh wait that's not fair.  We deserve minimum wage PLUS what we already get in tips too.  And anyone who disagrees - or stops eating out due to the higher prices - is as one poster said "greedy" and "entitled."

'

@Isobel Archer  It's the poster, not the post.

Some people have to scrape to eat out;  it can be a treat.  Rising prices can certainly curtail some folks/families enjoyment of a nice meal out once in a while.

Heaven's sake-even McD is expensive today.

I would no more condemn a person for cutting back on eating out than I would condemn those who can afford to continue.

Honored Contributor

The number of millenials tipping is already way down. 

Trusted Contributor

Tips should be added automatically to bills in restaurants.  The idea of tipping servers came from the need for servers to be complimented equally during shifts that may vary in attendance of guests.  The idea was that you get paid for the work you put in rather than getting a flat rate to sit around doing very little during certain hours while others run around busting their humps during other hours.  Put a sign on the door that says the restaurant adds 18% gratuity to the bill, and if the guests don't like it, they can eat somewhere else.  

Respected Contributor

@TenderMercies wroteSmiley Frustrated

@TenderMercies wrote:

Tips should be added automatically to bills in restaurants.  The idea of tipping servers came from the need for servers to be complimented equally during shifts that may vary in attendance of guests.  The idea was that you get paid for the work you put in rather than getting a flat rate to sit around doing very little during certain hours while others run around busting their humps during other hours.  Put a sign on the door that says the restaurant adds 18% gratuity to the bill, and if the guests don't like it, they can eat somewhere else.  

So then tipping has nothing to do with actual service.

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@TenderMercies  I disagree with the automatic 18% although that is common in restaurants serving parties of 6 or more.  The 18% is added to the bill, no questions asked. 

It isn't up to the restaurant to decide how much a customer "should" tip; tips are about service, although I agree about the large party.

I think putting up a sign put all the emphasis on the tip and not the service.

Talk about greed and entitlement on the flip side of the coin.

jmoymmv

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@TenderMercies  I disagree with the automatic 18% although that is common in restaurants serving parties of 6 or more.  The 18% is added to the bill, no questions asked. 

It isn't up to the restaurant to decide how much a customer "should" tip; tips are about service, although I agree about the large party.

I think putting up a sign put all the emphasis on the tip and not the service.

Talk about greed and entitlement on the flip side of the coin.

jmoymmv

@Cakers3 People are heathens, and as this thread progresses, this will be proven.  Tips should be added to the bill.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Just read another article that Starbucks is closing in 150 locations due to rises in minimum wages.

Those of you upset about oppressed servers might want to direct your wrath there.

It's about more than minimum wage. They're closing stores in markets where they aren't seeing growth and that are already saturated with Starbucks stores. When they were growing a lot, they made a habbit of opening two stores on the same street on opposite sides, so that it was easy for drivers in either direction to stop and get back on the road. Where my parents live, they've got a Starbucks in the main grocery store and a full Starbucks across the street from the grocery store. There's also a Peet's coffee in the same strip mall as the grocery store that's across the street from the Starbucks. And less then a mile down the road there's another full Starbucks.

Where I am, there's a Starbucks inside the grocery store and around the corner from the grocery store in the same strip mall there's a full Starbucks.

They also had a lot of unexpected expenses in the last two quarters. They  took a big hit after some of the things that happened in their stores and faced boycotts, then took a financial hit when they closed 8,000 stores for a few hours this quarter to do some training that I imagine cost them a considerable amount of money to develope on top of loss of the stores closed for the training. They've had a rough 2018.