Valued Contributor

Tipping help re: grocery delivery

For my personal groceries, I've shopped a couple times in the past 2+ months. For our office groceries, we use a large, longtime, local market with three locations in our state. In early April, I picked up a curbside order. When placing our recent order, there were no available curbside slots but I was surprised to see one delivery slot, so took it. The store does not charge a delivery fee. I did not see an option at checkout to add a tip. I am sure the person picking the order is different from the delivery driver. I will have to tip in cash, keeping social distance. How much should I tip the driver? Our order is about $100.
Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping help re: grocery delivery

We've been getting curbside groceries at our local market now for about 6 weeks, @lynne6was7 .  I was shocked at the beginning that in addition to "no charge",  they have a policy of refusing tips.  I tried on more than one occasion, and the manager of "curbside",  who oversees the bags being put in your car, waved me off with a smile and informed me of the policy.

That may be because it is a small, friendly chain.  But it might be worth your while to call whoever manages your store to inquire as to how to tip... you'll get the info you need.

Our store sure went out of their way to make this as painless a procedure as possible.  Now that I'm "transitioning" back into "in-person" shopping, they are going to have greater business loyalty from me than ever!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When I have Instacart deliver I tip 15-20%.  Ouch, but it saves me from going to the store myself.

I figure that we didn't take a world cruise this year, didn't buy a new car, don't own a second home, boat or rv and have those associated expenses so I'm going to tip generously when someone helps me out, especially during this horrible time.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

My Instacart Orders are heavy---30 lb kitty litter, huge bag of cat food, large laundry soap, and other heavy items....so I tip 20% sometimes more....But in your situation it sounds this is a local grocery store set up, they may not require a tip, but I would still offer some cash to the delivery person....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

The store I ordered from says no tipping allowed but I always tip anyway...usually 5 bucks and it is always appreciated by the helpful delivery folks. Thanks to all of them!

Regular Contributor

I've been using Instacart since March. Was tipping 20% at the beginning and at the height of the sheltering at home. Have now reduced the tip to 15% since things seem to have eased and it's become a little easier for the shoppers to do their jobs. Instacart is expensive, but for someone like me who has a compromised immune syster and an 88 year old mother who lives with me, it's worth the expense.

Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7  I have used Walmart delivery several times and delivery for them is done by a delivery service.  After delivery they text or email asking if you want to tip and will process it.  To make sure the person who delivers actually gets the tip, I always tip at the time of delivery.  Curbside pickup is done by regular employees who get full Walmart or company pay which is more than delivery services pay.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

A lot of grocery stores use Instacart to deliver.  The drivers get paid almost nothing, $5.00. and  rely solely on tips.  10-15% is great.  If there are heavy things like water, dog good, cases of soda,  watermelons, etc. tip mre.  You can put cash in an envelope and tape it to your door 

Valued Contributor

@Pook I've been using Walmart curbside pickup for over 2 months. I first tried tipping the delivery person who said he was not allowed to accept tips. The 2nd time I tried, (thinking maybe policy had changed), the delivery person said they would be fired if they were discovered accepting tips. I've never used a delivery service or ordered from any other store for curbside.

Oh, I ordered an item from Michael's last month and it was brought out to my car. The employee said she was not allowed to accept tips.

Honored Contributor

@laluzdelmundo   Curbside pickup employees are not allowed to accept tips because they are regular store employees with full pay and benefits.  Delivery service workers do not have that and depend on tips to make out but I want to make sure the person who has delivered mine gets the tip and it is not split among all drivers or  just not applied to that driver's money earned so I give them cash.