Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping for services rendered during the holiday season

I give my hair stylist an extra large tip at Christmas--

On Christmas eve, my friends and I go out to dinner after the Christmas church service....we go to this restaurant often and give a generous tip for Christmas....

I don't tip the mail carrier--they deliver mail to the subdivision group mail boxes.....and I spend a lot of time re-delivering mail that was mis-delivered!!! Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I forgot, I have a lovely lady who cleans for me. She actually does a lot more than than too. She walks my dog, makes phone calls for me, runs errands to the bank, shopping whatever it may be. She started off cleaning and then when she saw I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off she asked if she could do this or that for me. I took her up on it. I pay her hourly. I normally add an extra week of pay in her check a couple of weeks before Christmas, so if she needs it for Christmas, she will have it in time. I was always so broke especially around Christmas and I really appreciated that if I was getting a bonus, that employers would give it earlier so I could use it if I needed that money to buy gifts or food for Christmas Eve/day meals or whatnot. This year she had a bit of a rough year so I added two weeks. My husband also won a trip to Vancouver for one week. It included air lodging a certain amount for food at the hotels bars and restaurants. When he came home from work and was telling us about it, she was so excited for him because she had always wanted to go. We can't go because we have just been a little busier than normal so he told me he was going to give that to her tomorrow. It is a trip for two so she will take her daughter who is the sweetest little girl.  The airline is the same one he uses so he is going to upgrade to first class. It also included a $200 Visa gift card so he will give that also. I am super excited for her to open that up tomorrow. lol! I can't wait to see her reaction. She has never been to Canada and I know she will love Vancouver. I love Christmas!!!!

I do my own hair, nails and such so I don't have a person I would have to tip for that. I do like tip good for servers and bartenders at the places we go around the holidays. We usually do around 50% during the holidays. I remember being a server and how that felt. I was broker than broke when my daughter was little. She didn't get a whole bunch of toys and clothes during the year, so I liked to have a nice Christmas for her. Those Christmas tips really helped make that possible. I still remember how generous and sweet a lot of my regulars were around the holidays. I even had an older couple I waited on every Tuesday and Friday. They always requested my section and over time I got to know them pretty well. We had a bad storm one winter and my daughter had to come into work with me one night because my sitter canceled because her street hadn't been plowed yet. Well she came in and sat at a table and colored, had dinner and sat there patiently. All of the employees there really helped me out. Everyone took time entertaining her and talking to her. My regulars saw her and invited her to sit with them. They were so kind to her. That Christmas in addition to a really nice tip for me, they gave her a gift certificate to Toys r Us for $50!! I mean, how darn nice is that?? 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tip my hairdresser, the lady who washes hair in my salon, and my lawn guy.  I also give at work but those are pooled. 

My tip is to double the usual tip in December.  It's not all that much and I do not do it to guarantee better service.  Just an annual thank you. 

I give my letter carrier a $20 gift because even though his personality sometimes irritates me, he is trustworthy. It was customary in NYC to tip letter carriers, so I still do. Many n my neighborhood do so as well. 

ETA: I admit I do not tip the UPS person, as those deliveries (from my huge, far away family) are only frequent for the two weeks before Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

Some of you mentioned tips to your newspaper carrier....I'm glad to hear that you are getting good service.....I had to cancel my subscription after several years of terrible non-service!!!  My paper seldom got delivered and on weekends  if they delivered the paper wouldn't be delivered until after 1PM.....I called, I wrote, I talked to Carrier Supervisors, and other Supervisors at the newspaper...but then there was a most curious thing---right before Christmas I got a newspaper with an enclosed Christmas card along with the carrier's pre-addressed, pre-stamped envelope for his tip!!!!  Needless to say I responded with a note to cancel my subscription---I had it with the problems with the newspaper deliveries and followed it up with a call to the paper...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Some of you mentioned tips to your newspaper carrier....I'm glad to hear that you are getting good service.....I had to cancel my subscription after several years of terrible non-service!!!  My paper seldom got delivered and on weekends  if they delivered the paper wouldn't be delivered until after 1PM.....I called, I wrote, I talked to Carrier Supervisors, and other Supervisors at the newspaper...but then there was a most curious thing---right before Christmas I got a newspaper with an enclosed Christmas card along with the carrier's pre-addressed, pre-stamped envelope for his tip!!!!  Needless to say I responded with a note to cancel my subscription---I had it with the problems with the newspaper deliveries and followed it up with a call to the paper...

Good luck with actually canceling and being left alone. The last time I had a subscription (Sundays), after I canceled it I got phone calls and emails multiple times a week, then every month, and then still for YEARS after I had personally told multiple clueless canvassers for the paper to leave me the heck alone. They were as bad as overseas call centers - and since I HAD once done business with them they ignored the DNC thing. I believe that loophole has now been closed - now if you tell them to stop they have to, but that wasn't the case at the time.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Good luck with actually canceling and being left alone. The last time I had a subscription (Sundays), after I canceled it I got phone calls and emails multiple times a week, then every month, and then still for YEARS after I had personally told multiple clueless canvassers for the paper to leave me the heck alone. They were as bad as overseas call centers - and since I HAD once done business with them they ignored the DNC thing. I believe that loophole has now been closed - now if you tell them to stop they have to, but that wasn't the case at the time.

I had the same problem with my local paper. I used to get it daily but it rarely came so I cancelled it. I would get calls constantly to get it again and tried it again twice when they told me they would make sure I would get it daily. When that didn't happen I cancelled again for good and kept getting calls. I was like are you people serious? So disappointing because we like actual papers and get others but they couldn't handle it apparently.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

You and your husband are the lady that works for you Christmas Angels. Enjoyed reading your post. Hope she enjoys the trip.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
@Irshgrl31201

You and your husband are the lady that works for you Christmas Angels. Enjoyed reading your post. Hope she enjoys the trip.

Ah, thanks! I hope she does too! I feel so excited to see if she will like it!

JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

I had the same problem with my local paper. I used to get it daily but it rarely came so I cancelled it. I would get calls constantly to get it again and tried it again twice when they told me they would make sure I would get it daily. When that didn't happen I cancelled again for good and kept getting calls. I was like are you people serious? So disappointing because we like actual papers and get others but they couldn't handle it apparently.

@Irshgrl31201@Moonchilde

Perhaps a month later I got a call begging me to re-up but I told them my horror story about their lousy customer service and unfulfilled promises by the Carrier Supervisor.....and ya know they never called me again--LOL!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Irshgrl31201@Moonchilde

Perhaps a month later I got a call begging me to re-up but I told them my horror story about their lousy customer service and unfulfilled promises by the Carrier Supervisor.....and ya know they never called me again--LOL!!

I just found it so insane that I cancelled service because I couldn't receive the paper I had already purchased and then to be hounded repeatedly when they were in no position to change that!!! I am glad they never called you again @Spurt!

JFK