Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping at the self checkout?

@Kallena wrote:

I've never seen this when I do use the self checkout.  Most of the time, I get my groceries delivered, and I tip really well.  I love the grocery delivery service!

I do too. I really value not having to go to the grocery store, but occasionally I do because the selection is better, I think. I absolutely tip the grocery delivery folks because they're providing a valuable service to me. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Though I might occasionally stuff a dollar or two into the jar, I find any expectations of tips for picking up my own food at a carryout, at a self-service restaurant like Panera, or on the rare occasions I check myself out at a store are somewhat ridiculous. To me, tips are intended to recognize good service, not given 'just because'!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

That sounds like a joke - something like a Candid Camera stunt.  I haven't seen it, but if I did, I'd ignore.

Honored Contributor

I found this article   - 

Staff at Apple's first unionized store in the US are in talks to implement a tipping system at the check-out. 

Workers at the Maryland branch - which became unionized last year - plan to ask customers if they wish to add an optional gratuity worth 3 to 5 percent of their purchase or a custom amount. 

A 5 percent tip on the latest MacBook Air - which retails at $1,199 - would work out as $59.95. 

It comes after shoppers complained they are increasingly being asked to tip at self-checkout machines - despite having zero interaction with employees. 

Currently Apple's policies state that store workers who accept a tip from a customer will be automatically fired.

Honored Contributor

I was in my local Walmart yesterday and went through self-checkout.  No screen came up for "tipping".  Just the total, how I wanted to pay and that was it.

I find it odd that some places are reporting seeing a tip screen.  It makes no sense at all.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla - A tip for buying a product at a retail store?  I don't think so!  Good for Apple saying anyone accepting a tip would be fired.  It's like holding customers to ransom.