Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tipping at the self checkout?

No, I am not even leaving a penny.

We should be getting a discount for ringing up the order and bagging.

What's next, paying for plastic bags.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal  I've seen those buckets by the bands for years but I always assumed that it was if a special song was requested.  I wouldn't tip them otherwise.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 LOL!  I don't go out much, generally only to see this particular band so I wasn't aware.  I still feel it's tacky but I guess if it's what everyone else is doing?!  

Honored Contributor

That's so weird that it's only on self check-out and not for going through regular checkout. I hope that's not next. It feels like emotional blackmail. Lol

Honored Contributor

I have never seen that.  I also have never heard of anyone, anywhere tipping someone who rings up the sales or is a sales associate.  Maybe that tip means you should tip yourself since you are doing all the work.

Respected Contributor

I think the lowest amount is $1....seems like extortion to me...can't complete your transaction until you pick an amount. Just ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

I will not shop at a store that only has self check out. I do not get paid to work there.

It has probably been 15 years since I have been in a Walmart.

The cost of everything has gone up and I think that it is unfortunate that so many jobs are being eliminated and employees replaced by self check out.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

I've never seen a "tip amount" at a self-checkout counter.

Can you give us an example of where you've seen this?

ETA:  @beckyb1012 - we were posting at the same time.  I have never seen this at Walmart and I was just in there a couple of days ago.  I'll watch the next time.

But, no, I would not "tip" at a self-checkout.  It's bad enough, when you order food cafeteria-style and are expected to tip for that.

Some are so upset about Walmart doing it that they are ranting on tik tok.  I have always wondered what exactly all those Walmart employees are doing on their phones standing off to the side why we scan and sack?

I'd have to give Walmart credit for having a great sense of humor, maybe expecting customers to tip themselves?  I wonder if anyone has ever used it?

Maybe the registers were ordered to serve duo purposes, in addition to check out.  What that would be, I don't know.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I think the lowest amount is $1....seems like extortion to me...can't complete your transaction until you pick an amount. Just ridiculous.

@Trailrun23 - If that is correct and there's no button to "skip" or enter "0", you need to report it to your State Attorney General's Office.  There is no way that is legal.

Honored Contributor

If I am somewhere where the tipping comes up on the screen when paying, I choose the option where you can put in the amount by yourself instead of choosing a set amount on an icon.  Then I type in "0"

I have never had a problem with the transaction not going through.

The only time I lost it was at my daughter's wedding reception when I saw the bartenders having a container displayed with         "tips" on it.  I was livid.  I would never expect guests to have to pay anything, even a tip at a reception.  They promptly removed it.

The venue provided the bartenders and they also billed me for the mandatory tips for the bar tenders and servers.