Respected Contributor

Tipping at the self checkout?

When you use the self checkout at a store, do you check a tip amount when it comes up on the screen? I was appalled to think I am expected to tip a checkout computer when no one has helped me...I have helped myself! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping at the self checkout?

They started doing that a few months ago at our Walmarts, I flat refuse.  Ridiculous.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never seen a "tip amount" at a self-checkout counter.

Can you give us an example of where you've seen this?

ETA:  @beckyb1012 - we were posting at the same time.  I have never seen this at Walmart and I was just in there a couple of days ago.  I'll watch the next time.

But, no, I would not "tip" at a self-checkout.  It's bad enough, when you order food cafeteria-style and are expected to tip for that.

Honored Contributor

I've never seen a "tip" request at a self-checkout, but I have had opportunities to contribute to various charities.  Just like they do with the human checkers.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I've never seen a "tip amount" at a self-checkout counter.

Can you give us an example of where you've seen this?

ETA:  @beckyb1012 - we were posting at the same time.  I have never seen this at Walmart and I was just in there a couple of days ago.  I'll watch the next time.

But, no, I would not "tip" at a self-checkout.  It's bad enough, when you order food cafeteria-style and are expected to tip for that.

Some are so upset about Walmart doing it that they are ranting on tik tok.  I have always wondered what exactly all those Walmart employees are doing on their phones standing off to the side why we scan and sack?

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I think not.

TIPS=To Insure Prompt (or Proper) Service

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I haven't seen this at any big box stores or self-checkout grocery store by me.

Honored Contributor

I have not seen this either.

In fact tipping is not even part of checking out when ordering curbside pickup at our grocery chain. At least we see a worker when our order is loaded into our car.

Where does the money go or are we being prepared for tipping AI somewhere soon??🤔

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who would get the tip? If I'm doing the work I want that amount off my bill....and I'm a big tipper so make sure I get it all!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 - I have to say I've never seen any Walmart employees on their phones at our local stores, but I suppose it may depend on where you live.

There's usually only one clerk in the self-checkout area to help, if someone needs it.  They are holding a store radio/price-checker, but that's all I've seen.

I'll be very interested to see if this "tip" idea shows up here.  I know what customers will say to that!  Woman Mad