Regular Contributor

I am having movers come tomorrow to move some funiture from one house to another.  The movers estimate the job will be two hours.  We are in the middle of an extreme heat wave.  I will have ice water for them.  My question is how much of a tip do you think I need to give them?  They are giving me three guys for the job. Thanks in advance

Honored Contributor

If they're good, I'd probably give them $10 each.  

Esteemed Contributor

@joann1218  I don't know if there is a proper rule of thumb for this.  When my daughter moved from one side of Chicago to the other in a heat wave not unlike the one we are having now, she tipped each guy (3 of them) $20 and had an endless supply of bottles of cold water.  The place she moved from had an elevator.  The place she moved into was a 3 story walk up.  I felt so sorry for those guys, but they never complained, were polite, and seemed thankful for the tip and water.

All the best with your move!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

"They are giving me three guys for the job."

One of those three will be "supervising."  Give him/her an extra $5 on top of whatever you give the other 2.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

Yes, I am definitely going to have an endless supply of water.  At fiirst I was thinking of $50 each, but my husband thought that was way too much. But I thought "oh those poor guys are going to be working in the extreme heat".  My husband thinks $20 to maybe $30  is enough and so I thought let me ask what people here think.

Honored Contributor

In this heat?

I would open my wallet & say ‘take whatever you want.’

😆

Seriously though...I think $50 each would be a very nice gesture. 

Honored Contributor

You don't have to differentiate;  just give them each a $10 tip.  You certainly don't want to give the "supervisor" who will do less of the heavy lifting than the other two more money.  That wouldn't be right.

Honored Contributor

It's considerate to be cognizant of the heat and to have water available. That said, this is their job and they are being paid. My personal view is that a fifty dollar per person tip is ludicrous. I'd tip them equally and probablly ten bucks each. Certainly, no more than twenty. It would also depend on whether or nor not they do a good job, are prompt and so on.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

My understanding is that the only reason they gave me three guys is because of the heat and they want to get the job done quicker than if they had two.  So I think all three will be working hard.

Honored Contributor

I agree that for 2 hours work, $10 each is plenty!!