Honored Contributor

Re: Tip - Furniture Delivery

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

I had a double patio door delivered to my home and the two men carried that thing from the front driveway to the rear patio where it was to be installed. It weighed a TON ( I know, because a friend of mine and I installed it.....) .....

I gave each one a 10.00 tip. It took about ten minutes to carry the thing around. If they had left it up in the front, I would have a hernia today.

I sold my large Harley motorcycle. It had a dead battery so it couldn't be started to run up the ramp of the trailer. My neighbor had three young guys doing some brush removal at his house....I called them over and in less than ONE MINUTE the three of them pushed that 700 pound bike up onto the trailer. I tipped each one 10.00.

Both these cheap tips saved me a trip to the chiropractor, and many sleepless nights due to back pain....which would have cost a LOT more in time and expense!!!!!...

I'm 63 and even though I'm in great shape for my age, and consider myself a strong person, I know the difference between the COST and VALUE of a tip!!!!

My back!!!!

Without getting into the whole tipping conundrum that so often appears on these forums... I can see paying (not, to my mind, 'tipping'...) those who moved the bike. They were there to do a different job for someone else. Moving the bike had nothing to do with the job for which they were hired and they deserved to be compensated in some fashion for the extra work, even if it was easy for them to do...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

NO.  Tipping has gotten out of hand, imho.

Tipping is for 'over and above' service.  It's not to pay waiters/waitresses, hairdressers, et al because their salaries are low.  But, now we must tip just for performing within the norms of their jobs, or even sub-par.  Nowadays, walking into Dunkies there's a tip jar:  the server pours you a cup of coffee which is his/her job and the customer is supposed to tip.  Ridiculous!!  Before ya know it we'll be expected to tip the dentist for drilling our teeth!

If someone does above and beyond the service provided, or even squeezing you in for a special reason, any beyond the expected norm, sure tip and tip well.  Otherwise, no tipping please as it will soon become the norm.Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

No, I don't tip them.  Truck drivers are not service workers and are very well paid.

@Kachina624  ...  I beg to differ with you. My DH has worked for a few delivery companies over the years ...... They are not paid very well.  

@Boehm Collector. We'll have to agree to disagree.  I was considered an "expert" in occupational wage data and testified as such in legal proceedings.  Furniture delivery is a specialty that is especially well paid.  Not run-of-the-mill delivery.

@Kachina624  .. my DH did work for furniture delivery companies. .. and he certainly was not well paid.   But I guess we  can agree to disagree.  

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I tip them.  I want them to take off their shoes, remove any packaging, and not damage my floors or the furniture.  

@Bri369, but don't you pay the tip AFTER the whole delivery?

We generally tip, especially if the guys take care with the delivery and installation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Love reading these answers I've worked in the furtniure industry for 15 years. One of my job dutys is to schedule deliveries. I've had customers ask me if it's customary to tip or how much to tip. I always leave it to the customers discreation wheather to or not. I also explain the amount is their choice but $10 to $15 is reasonable. 

Our delivery service has always been sub-contracted out customers pay delivery fees in home not at the store our guys prefer cash. To many bounced checks, over $800 in one month so they said NO more one would think if you can afford to buy furntiure you certainly could afford a delivery fee by check, and fees have increased sense then . And they don't use any CC processing. These are very small services they may own one or two trucks company owned by one guy who pays his helpers 1/2 a delivery cost so if you pay $100 for a delivery that's split between 2 guys this, then imagine the $50.00 on owners side going to fuel, truck maitance, insurance.

Not saying you should tip just some thoughts.

Esteemed Contributor

I always tip as well. Several months ago, I ordered a refrigerator from Lowes - a few minutes from my house. They had one in stock - so it was delivered the following day. Two men delivered the refrigerator and I was going to give them $5. each.
They removed my old refrigerator and I started wiping up the floor where it stood for 17 years. Then, one of the guys took my rag and started wiping the floor and wall. I ran upstairs and got more money - I tipped each of them $10. each. One of the guys actually bowed his head and thanked me several times. The other guy didn't even say one word. 
These guys make little money --- and most of them appreciate getting a tip.

Respected Contributor

I am having furniture delivered and am paying 120.00 for delivery and they said they gave me a big break!  No way I am paying a tip.