Respected Contributor

Re: Tip - Furniture Delivery

of course.  $10-25

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

three pieces of furniture?......i would probably tip $10 each.

This is what I would tip also.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't, that's just me.

Tipping has gotten out of hand.  It seems as though a tip is expected for everyone that crosses your path.

We tip servers in a restaurant and the person that cuts our hair.  That's it.

Esteemed Contributor

@pommom wrote:

3 pieces of furniture are being delivered to my residence next week.  Is it customary to tip the deliverymen?

Yes, I always do.  Usually $15.00 to $20.00 per person.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

No, I don't tip them.  Truck drivers are not service workers and are very well paid.

@Kachina624  ...  I beg to differ with you. My DH has worked for a few delivery companies over the years ...... They are not paid very well.  

Respected Contributor

I had a double patio door delivered to my home and the two men carried that thing from the front driveway to the rear patio where it was to be installed. It weighed a TON ( I know, because a friend of mine and I installed it.....) .....

I gave each one a 10.00 tip. It took about ten minutes to carry the thing around. If they had left it up in the front, I would have a hernia today.

I sold my large Harley motorcycle. It had a dead battery so it couldn't be started to run up the ramp of the trailer. My neighbor had three young guys doing some brush removal at his house....I called them over and in less than ONE MINUTE the three of them pushed that 700 pound bike up onto the trailer. I tipped each one 10.00.

Both these cheap tips saved me a trip to the chiropractor, and many sleepless nights due to back pain....which would have cost a LOT more in time and expense!!!!!...

I'm 63 and even though I'm in great shape for my age, and consider myself a strong person, I know the difference between the COST and VALUE of a tip!!!!

My back!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

If I'm already paying an extra charge to have the furniture delivered, why would I tip the deliverymen?

@aubnwa01  .. the delivery fee does not go to the people who deliver it.  It goes to their company.  I always tip the delivery people.... it's a hard job.  

Respected Contributor

Having been reliant on tips in my younger days for school, living expenses etc., I always tip. The way I figure it, the $10-$20 I give per person is part of the cost of the item. It is worked into the budget and is appreciated by the recipient. Win-win all around. My feelings are: If I can't afford a tip for a service done for me, I shouldn't have that service done.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Delivery people work hard; lifting heavy furniture or appliances is hard or dangerous on their backs and other parts of bodies. I always tip them. Those "delivery charges" go to the store; not to the delivery/set-up people! Those individuals probably make an hourly wage, which isn't much and certainly doesn't provide benefits

@BirkiLady. They most probably make a liveable wage with benefits if they work for a furniture store.  Dependable divers with good driving records are in high demand so are well paid.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

No, I don't tip them.  Truck drivers are not service workers and are very well paid.

@Kachina624  ...  I beg to differ with you. My DH has worked for a few delivery companies over the years ...... They are not paid very well.  

@Boehm Collector. We'll have to agree to disagree.  I was considered an "expert" in occupational wage data and testified as such in legal proceedings.  Furniture delivery is a specialty that is especially well paid.  Not run-of-the-mill delivery.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment