Esteemed Contributor

Re: Times have changed for me...(what about you?)

@tishkins You mean you are not like June Cleaver in your heels and pearls cleaning every day?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey

Yup, they have changed for me a bunch, for the better. Not because of clubs or that type of thing. Mine has to do with my health and fitness. You know I am a fitness nut, right?

Well, at since 2002, I have been anything but close in the health department, or physical fitness levels I used to maintain. Over those many years it was 1 thing after the other, until 2017.

Have stayed healthy enough to reach my desired level of physical fitness, now at 78 years of age. Can ice skate so it looks like I have skated before, and regained my fitness very low heart rate with high oxygen saturation levels. I plan on hanging on to this as long as possible, while realizing that nobody knows what tomorrow will bring. Right now, things have changed and could not be better.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Times,life has changed way too much for me,and nothing i can do about how it effects me.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd never join a "club" to get introductory merchandise.  You spend the next six months hassling to get it canceled while they continue to charge your credit card.

In their defense, in the case with wine clubs  (I'm not in the wine business but have friends who are), they do give you good discounts when you join and you do have an obligation to meet when you join.  You sign an agreement.

@september  of the 2 wine clubs that I joined, there was no obligation to meet. Easy-peasy to quit.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@DecorDiva wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

When I was a kid I always wanted to join one of those record clubs that they advertised in magazines.....Then I saw an episode on Leave It To Beaver where Beaver joined the record club and didn't return the post cards to tell the record company that he was declining the next order...so they kept sending records and bills and he was past due and in debt and the record company threatends to turn the matter over to their attorneys!!!...Beaver confesses to his father what happened and he gets bailed out of the mess but must forfeit his allowance until he pays his father back.... And after the debt is paid the record company sends a letter that they will start sending the records again...and Beaver screams for his dad.....As a kid seeing that cured me FOREVER even as an adult from joining any product club...so I was taught financial responsibility and that hasn't changed as Ive gotten older ..LOL!!!

Image result for leave it to beaver the record club

@Spurt - what a blast from the past!  Not only Leave it to Beaver but when I was a teenager I joined a record club - I think it was Columbia - that sent an album every so often if you didn't send the card back.  I think you got someting like 10 free in the beginning and that hooked you in.  I didn't last long with that.

@DecorDiva

Funny isnt it....millenials dont remember cassetts let alone records---LOL.....Yep thats the ad I was talking about for the record club sounded like a great deal but wonder if they even gave you time to return the card that you didnt want their next offer...LOL! 

@Spurt  I was in the Columbia Record club!

@DecorDivaThe first time out kids played a LP they asked us how "to rewind" it when it got the the end.  Our 32 year old son collects "vinyl" now. Sometimes he collects some of ours!

Regular Contributor

No no pearls, high heal shoes or fancy dresses. Up and at gym by 7am; work out for 1 1/2. Then coffee with some gym buddies and eventually start housework. More important things than housework and cooking. When kids were home cooked and baked all the time. Now they are all married . Now for me and hubby dinner is very very simple.

Respected Contributor

Ya lot's of changes in a short time period....parents are gone....husbands parents are gone...sister is gone...my dog of 15ys is gone....2 of my sons moved out...I am older...life is very different lately.  Trying to figure out what direction I should be going.  Doing to much shopping...buying....not joining any book clubs or wine (don't like wine or drink alcohol for that matter) ....

Esteemed Contributor

Husband died in 2016 on Valentines Day. Couldn't or wouldn't give up smoking. Don't know many neighbors after 17 years here.  Now I am the old one. Library too far away to walk. Used to at the old house. Dofe I don't drive. Parents and brother all dead and I neoam probably next since I will be 80 next month.  Life is lonely.

Super Contributor

I'm still waiting.....Smiley Happy1gdmse.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I got bored sitting home after retirement and went back to work part time. I enjoy interacting with people and keeps me busy. I work in retail---busy all the time.

One woman is 88 years old and works full time. She is full of life and fun. I can only hope that I am healthy enough to be so active at that age.