Super Contributor

Re: Times Square New Year's Eve Question

For the young, or for those who have never ventured far from home, New Year's Eve in Times Square is exciting and exhilarating and FUN!

I am no longer young, but a couple of years ago, I celebrated NYE in Paris.  It was a night I will never forget.

Wherever you are, whomever you're with, Godspeed, good health and happiness,  and Happy New Year!  2016!  Unbelievable.

Esteemed Contributor

I "always" wanted to be in Times Square on New Years Eve! But I never did it. Now with a bad back and in my late 50's, I would not attempt it. But every year I watch the show and listen to the music and say to my husband how I would "love" to be there. And to that he says Are you kidding me?!?! lol. No, Im not kidding! As a former city girl (not NYC) I love the city in comparism to where we live (in the country). I would love the crowds and the excitement and the buildings!

To add- My 1 neice and 1 nephew live and work in NYC and they are at their parents home in PA. for the holidays, and said that the locals in NYC usually leave or dont go to Times Square on New Years Eve! Go figure!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Never interested me...I don't like crowds and then there is the bathroom issue.....I enjoy the comfort of my living room and watch on my t.v.....knowing my bathroom is a few feet away...as is my kitchen if i am hungry or thirsty....

No standing for hours in the cold....no trying to thread my way through the people to get to my car....and the long drive home...and lastly....if I am tired...I can just go to sleep....and skip the ball dropping all together....hahaha...

Respected Contributor

Not anything I'd ever want to attend.  I don't even like watching the hours of gibberish the various show hosts spew forth before midnight.  I plan to be comfortably settled in to watch Thin Man movies on TCM.  At least the bathroom's only a few feet away.Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

For years, I have watched the ball drop, and seen all of those people crowded in to Times Square.

They are predicting one million people there tomorrow night.

Can we say "claustrophobic"?

With few entrance points, and all those people crammed in to one spot, what do you do if you have to use the restroom?

Also, for as crowded as it is, it sure does clear out awfully fast. That always amazes me at how quickly the place empties.

Has anyone been to Times Square on New Year's Eve?

I have NO  desire to be in Times Square on New Year's Eve, but have always wondered about those things.

You can't leave to use the restroom.  Once you're in your area, that's where you have to stay.  For hours and hours.  :-(

It is crazy crowded (obviously!), but the energy is intense.  In a good way!  It's very safe.  Security is everywhere, Times Square is so lit up that it's like daytime (always, not just New Year's Eve), and it's really like a party.  I've never been down among the crowd, but I have watched from a window right above.  Happily warm and comfy, with food & drink, and bathrooms nearby!  For me, that's the best way to do it.

I've also been there during the day when they were setting up.  Crazy crowds and everyone was feeling very festive.  It was fun.  We barely had to walk - The crowd just kind of carried us along.  I know lots of people who have been there for the ball drop, and they're all glad they went.  Most of them only did it once, although a few have done it a few times.  

Respected Contributor

My DS works in NYC and has never gone to Times Square on New Years and the Times Square area is very busy on a typical day, so this 61 year old has no desire to go.  If I were in my 20's I think it would be a fun experience.  Happy New Year!

Respected Contributor

I knew what the question would be before I even opened the post.  LOL  It has always puzzled me my entire life as to why people crowd in there for this.  Well, why people crowd into ANY area for ANYTHING. 

Frequent Contributor

We did it & it was a fabulous experience. Times Square is zoned into sections & we were assigned to a section that contained a few hundred, not thousands. Security is everywhere. It is so bright with all the lights. The crowd is extremely excited & the excitement is contagious. Everyone is there to have a great time & we did! The countdown was unbelievable. Once the ball drops there is nothing more to do. Exiting was amazingly controlled & quick. I would do it again!

Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.”
Respected Contributor

Yes, I have.  An electric atmosphere and excitement that can't be described.  Everyone was friendly and the crowd was as one.  At the time, we were permitted to leave for bathroom breaks while our friends held our places.  It's certainly not something I ever need to do again, but it was an experience I'll never forget.

I don't think there are many locals there today who are over the age of 25.  The rest are tourists.  Yes, locals either leave town for the Christmas/New Year's season or they go to parties or stay home.

Trusted Contributor

I seen the ball drop in the 50's. Long time ago. It was fun back then maybe a drunk trying to give you a New Year kiss. It was crowded  but not bad. Now a days if I was young I would never go. You get herded like cattle in a pen. Bathroom wear adult something or go in a cup. No thank you. Worry about a pickpocket think about what if maybe something bad could happen. Would take the joy out of the night.  I really would hate to be the clean up people the next day with all the trash and other stinky stuff!!