Super Contributor
WAUSAU (WAOW) -People filled the Marathon County Public Library on Saturday to learn about a new way to connect their community through a TimeBank.

"A TimeBank is the concept of my time is equal to your time and it's a way for us to utilize services as a means of getting things done," said Tricia Lazare, a steering committee member for the website.

Featured on World News with Diane Sawyer, it's an online tool where you log the number of hours you help someone. Instead of money, you get the same hours in return to spend however you'd like.

One example is a dentist.

"If he did a service for myself, I would give him one of my TimeBank hours, and he could use his TimeBank hour I gave him for his dentistry care, and he can use it for maybe lawn care at his house if he doesn't have time," said Lazare.

The largest TimeBank in the country is in Wisconsin in Dane County. Now, Wausau is making their own.

"Now we can be more involved with people in our community," said Jesse Borchardt of Wausau.

Borchardt came to the informational meeting. He's interested in the concept, and brought his entire family.

"Giving is always a very important thing, and giving back to your community is something I try to teach them and this is a great way to do that,” said Borchardt.

Organizers agree. They say it brings the community together in ways technology has replaced.

"It really is a way to connect all of us together in a community and recognizing that everybody does have a gift," said Lazare.

Organizers ask for a $12 sign up donation.

Respected Contributor

What about the government asking for taxes for working? Nothing is free.

What about the government telling everyone that works or sells something has to pay for a permit to sell or work?

What if someone has noting to offer someone else? But they go around getting free this and free that all day long? What is to stop those people?

Honored Contributor

It's like bartering. My DH and I had done that when we were in college. All parties in agreement, not a problem.....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G