Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Time names Ebola fighters as its 2014 Person of the Year

Honored Contributor

Unbelievable that my post was eliminated. It was quite mild and I was glad that they won not #2.

Valued Contributor

On 12/10/2014 haddon9 said:

Unbelievable that my post was eliminated. It was quite mild and I was glad that they won not #2.

You got THAT right!!

Honored Contributor

That's wonderful! They're amazing people.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Excellent choice.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

They are true heroes!!

Super Contributor

I saw this lady on TV and she seems a very good choice. She was quite humble, and so much better than some of the hams they have selected over the years. Excellent choice.

Magenta

Esteemed Contributor

Good choice!

However, I believe Person of the Year has more to do with influence on the news and current events during the preceding year than for any contributions to humanity. I say this because Hitler was named as Man of the Year in 1938. He was certainly getting a lot of press at the time. Joseph Stalin was also named once. See post below with historical list from Time Magazine.

More often than not though, the person or group named seems a worthy choice.

I guess by this criteria, we are lucky that the Kardashian family wasn't named as they, wholly and singly, are in the news in this country and a lot of others about every single day of the year, ad nauseum. Smiley Happy

The Ebola doctors, nurses and other aid workers have put their lives on hold as well as literally on the line, to help others at great cost to themselves and their families. As we saw this year, some have paid the ultimate price for that.

Even though we may have groused about some workers after they returned from Africa (I know I myself groused about Dr. Snyderman after she returned from reporting, the nurse who didn't want to be quarantined and the nurse who flew to Cleveland and I will just admit that right now), as well as some of those who assisted returning workers in this country for various reasons which may have seemed good at the time considering the fear, the fact remains they ALL performed important services and that should be celebrated.

Any accolades the workers receive, along with continuing publicity to the ongoing cause, is deserved.

Well done.

Edited to add reference to historical list.

Honored Contributor

On 12/10/2014 BeckiWV said:

Good choice!

However, I believe Person of the Year has more to do with influence on the news and current events during the preceding year than for any contributions to humanity. I say this because I think Hitler was named as Man of the Year in the late 1930's. He was certainly getting a lot of press at the time. Joseph Stalin was also named once.

More often than not though, the person or group named seems a worth choice.

I guess by this criteria, we are lucky that the Kardashian family wasn't named as they, wholly and singly, are in the news in this country and a lot of others about every single day of the year, ad nauseum. Smiley Happy

The Ebola doctors, nurses and other aid workers have put their lives on hold as well as literally on the line, to help others at great cost to themselves and their families. As we saw this year, some have paid the ultimate price for that.

Even though we may have groused about some workers after they returned from Africa (I know I myself groused about Dr. Snyderman, the nurse who didn't want to be quarantined and the nurse who flew to Cleveland and I will just admit that right now), as well as some of those who assisted returning workers in this country for various reasons which may have seemed good at the time considering the fear, the fact remains they ALL performed important services and that should be celebrated.

Any accolades the workers receive, along with continuing publicity to the ongoing cause, is deserved.

Well done.

Wonderful post, BeckiWV. I think some people forget it's not a popularity contest and it's not about who did the most good in the world.

". . .The criterion is “the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or ill, and embodied what was important about the year.” A lot of news is bad news and a lot of people who make bad news are very powerful people. TIME’s editors aren’t immune to that reality. . ."

(source: Everything You Wanted To Know about TIME’s Person of the Year at link http://poy.time.com/2013/12/10/everything-you-wanted-know-about-time-person-of-the-year/)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova