Honored Contributor

Re: Time Person of the Year for 2019 is...

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 wrote:

Do any of you know about the problems this child has? Her parents are using her as a prop instead of addressing her many issues. Just sad.

No problems.

No prop.

No issues.

No....not sad.  
Her activism is hope for an entire generation.....WORLDWIDE

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another “first” or “-est” or “most.”  More style over substance. 

I also disagree with SI’s sportsperson of the year.  It IS about sports, right?She didn’t win the World Cup by herself. There’s no “I” in “team.”

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

We all have "problems."  She at least is bringing focus to a major problem and hopefully inspiring other young people to get involved.  A good thing.

Regular Contributor

Whatever challenges this young lady faces are NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.  Apparently she is a bright young woman who is not afraid to express her opinions.  What we need are more genuine young people like her and fewer losers like someone here who feels the need to put everyone under a microscope when they are given a accolade for doing something good.  In other words, the critical blogger here needs to GROW UP and worry about what image of herself she is presenting!  Leave this young lady and her image ALONE!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

There are some who are afraid of the younger generation and will do and say anything to discredit young activists.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course everything about her is our business. Her parents and the media made her our business.  She's the Time Person of the Year, haven't you heard.  We are entitled to know everything about her if Time says she's The Person.

No poster can tell me what I should want or not want to know.

Esteemed Contributor

She is an amazing young woman.  The hope for our country and the world remains with young people.  Their passion and dedication is inspiring and should give everyone hope.

I have not heard, nor read, anything designed to tear this girl down.  Of course, if one is not concerned about climate change or are in complete denial, negative gossip is a cheap shot aimed at denial of her cause.  Attacking “the messenger”

is a time-worn tactic.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Do any of you know about the problems this child has? Her parents are using her as a prop instead of addressing her many issues. Just sad.

Explain,please.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

Dear Johnny,

Say whatever you want, but please leave ignorant comments meant to infuriate others who may care about the future and to whom we are leaving it out of the conversation.  By the way, have you won any awards?  Can we get all the info about you? Or are you just spiteful and jealous because your achievements may have gone unnoticed?  As i previously said, leave her alone, and PLEASE GROW UP!!!

Honored Contributor

Climate activist Greta Thunberg, 16, addressed the

U.N.'s Climate Action Summit in New York City on Monday.

Here's the full transcript of Thunberg's speech, beginning

with her response to a question about the message she

has for world leaders.

🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿

My message is that we'll be watching you.

This is all wrong. I shouldn't be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you! 

You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you! 

For more than 30 years, the science has been crystal clear. How dare you continue to look away and come here saying that you're doing enough, when the politics and solutions needed are still nowhere in sight.

You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency. But no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that. Because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil. And that I refuse to believe.

The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees [Celsius], and the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control.

Fifty percent may be acceptable to you. But those numbers do not include tipping points, most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution or the aspects of equity and climate justice.

They also rely on my generation sucking hundreds of billions of tons of your CO2 out of the air with technologies that barely exist.

So a 50% risk is simply not acceptable to us — we who have to live with the consequences.

To have a 67% chance of staying below a 1.5 degrees global temperature rise – the best odds given by the [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] – the world had 420 gigatons of CO2 left to emit back on Jan. 1st, 2018. Today that figure is already down to less than 350 gigatons.

How dare you pretend that this can be solved with just 'business as usual' and some technical solutions? With today's emissions levels, that remaining CO2 budget will be entirely gone within less than 8 1/2 years.

There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with these figures here today, because these numbers are too uncomfortable. And you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is.

You are failing us. But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you.

We will not let you get away with this. Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not.

Thank you.

(Septmber 23, 2019)