Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tim Conway Has Dementia - Family Fight Too?

So sad .... such a great comedian.... may God Bless & take him in his care 🌹

Trusted Contributor

Tim Conway has 7 children. Wonder what the other children want for their dad.

Super Contributor

@Preds wrote:

If this is true, I wish his daughter luck.  Wonder what the "other side of the story" is.  Maybe she can't afford the cost of care any longer.  Just because they are famous doesn't mean they are rich.  So very sad either way.  Blessings to him and his family.

While it is true that we don't know the other side of the story, so often money is behind these decisions.  I would hope his care is first and foremost in his wife's mind, and not what her life will be like if his assets are used for his care in these final days.  The way I have always looked at these situations is that the money belongs to Tim.  He earned it.  It should be spent on him.  (This is not to start an arguement about community property, btw.)  Too often family members think they are entitled to an inheritance.  Let's hope Tim receives the care he needs and this family can find peace.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cant imagine the cost with nursing staff on call.  My mom has dementia, they said most likely Altzheimers. She lives in her own home.  We have 22 hour caretakers.  They are with a licensed company, but not Rn's.  My mom is not bed ridden, but has memory of 30 seconds.  Her caretaker fees are 20,000@ month alone.  Before meds, household bills, insurance, etc. .  That is nearly a quarter of a million a year.  My Mom would have a fit if she knew.  She was cheap about things like that.  She moved her partner of 40 years to nursing home because his costs were too high.  Lol  Care can drain ones assets quick! If you have assets medicare will make sure they are drained before they pay for anything over 120 days.

there has to be a reason.  It could be his finances are exhausted.  Sometimes you think people have tons of money, and they don't.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always loved Tim Conway, especially on the Carol Bunett show - he'd break up Harvey Korman before the sketch hardly started.

If you've never seen Tim's elephant stories, look up Carol Burnett show outtakes  - Tim Conway's elephant story (unedited)  on youttube.

I dare you not to laugh.

Best wishes, Tim, and thank you for the laughs!

Denise
Respected Contributor

Absolutely loved Tim Conway and his work.  His work on the Carol Burnett show was absolutely hysterical.  So sorry to hear about his dementia though.

In regard to the family situation, there just isn't enough information for me to actually have an opinion.  Sometimes it isn't only money, but family members don't necessarily agree on the type of treatment someone needs at any given time.  For example, it is stated supposedly the daughter says that her father would lose access to his speech therapist.  But then in the same article, it also says according to the daughter that he is almost completely unresponsive.  Well, if he is almost totally unresponsive...he doesn't need a speech therapist for assistance with swallowing.

Also he may not need registered nurses at all times.  He might be in a certain condition of where the vast majority of his care would be fine given by LPN's or nursing assistants. This type of long term care is incredibly expensive, so it may be related to available funds, too.  Just hard to tell without more details.  

Whatever the situation though, I wish him the best and hope that he is treated in a manner that provides for his integrity and dignity.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I wanted to add, there comes a point where family does need to look for a way to cut costs, without compromising care!!!  It may sound cold, but it is a reality for most people.  Dementia patients live for a long time after diagnosis, if there are no other serious ailments.  Thats my mom.  Never took a pill, until she was 95... I have friends with dementia/ Altzheimers parents and the can hang on for 15 years. 

Even with is, we cut by taking 3 hours  from caretakers.  Night leaves at 6am when she is sound asleep. We have house totally secured and cameras.  She is always asleep.  That 3 hours adds up to 90@ day, 630@ week and cuts 2,520. A month!!!  Just those 3 hrs!  It was that or nursing home, and she is not there yet. I promised her I would not do nursing home, and so far it is working out.  Of course there are always family or sibling that see it as cutting their part of inheritance short.  But tough.

i am just so sad about Tim.  He was such a genius, and gave me such great joy.  The million year old man in the butcher shop, and the dentist still bring tears to my eyes.  Bless him in his journey

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

Tim Conway has 7 children. Wonder what the other children want for their dad.

His son, Tim Conway Jr, has a radio show on KFI every weeknight from 6-10pm in the SoCal area. I listen now & then--he's a pretty good talk show host. This news about his father is sad. Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

My guess is the greed is coming from the daughter and whatever other family members. He's been married to his wife for almost 35 years.

I really hate these children who do this. Sorry kiddo but that's his wife and I'm guessing you were fine with taking on the task of caring for him. I always thought the Casey Kasem stuff was a little gross too. Another 35 year marriage and I'm inclined to think the kids are full of it.

Honored Contributor

What an awful time for friction and additional heartache for a family. Best wishes to Tim and those who love and care for him.
I hope none of this isn't more about inheriting money than what is best for Tim.