Super Contributor

Re: Tiggi, my Maine Coon, may have cancer :(

You and I both have watched every strand of fur on our cats' heads over the years to make sure they're not having an additional problem when they're sick! Smiley Happy

You've got that right, Sammycat! Even before this happened, maybe a year or so ago, I started counting her respiration rate. Resting, it's always been 18-20 a minute. Two days ago I started her on that appetite enhancer Mirtazapine, and within an hour she became very vocal, and her resp rate was around 30. I freaked out. She finally settled down and within a couple hours it was back to normal.

I keep checking now every couple hours, because she could have fluid build-up in the abdominal cavity from the cancer Smiley Sad Still, knock on wood, it's around 18 per minute.

Sheltiemom, DBF loves Tiggi as much as I do. She loves him MORE than me because he doesn't give her the nasty medicine. She's been on pulse therapy with Clindamycin for several years to help with her dental issues and it's NASTY-tasting. I know, put a dab of it on my tongue.

He keeps after me to get married, but I've been single all my life and I hate giving up my identity. I know, I sound odd.

Respected Contributor

Teddy, Indy and I keep thinking about you down here. You know Indy is part yours anytime...

Super Contributor

thanks, luvmyteddy.

Super Contributor

Indy-Blonde2, I'm so sorry to hear about your Tiggi. Poor little furbaby. Please know that Tiggi and you are in my thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs)))

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

Indy, how are you and Tiggi doing this weekend?

Super Contributor

We're OK, Sammycat. She's eating and P-ing up a storm due to the pred. I think the pred she is on is super-high strength. The bottle appears to be 90 mg. Now I'm kind of concerned all the P-ing may make her potassium low, so I'm going to ask Dr. Webb tomorrow. She does lay around more but she's been doing that for a few months, maybe part of it is getting older. Of course, I compare her to Abigail who will be 1 year old next month and I shouldn't be comparing a senior cat to a kitten. BTW, I keep them separated as I don't want to stress Tiggi out. Abby is too rambunctious.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/24/2014 Indy-Blonde2 said:

We're OK, Sammycat. She's eating and P-ing up a storm due to the pred. I think the pred she is on is super-high strength. The bottle appears to be 90 mg. Now I'm kind of concerned all the P-ing may make her potassium low, so I'm going to ask Dr. Webb tomorrow. She does lay around more but she's been doing that for a few months, maybe part of it is getting older. Of course, I compare her to Abigail who will be 1 year old next month and I shouldn't be comparing a senior cat to a kitten. BTW, I keep them separated as I don't want to stress Tiggi out. Abby is too rambunctious.

Good idea to call Dr. Webb on the increased urination; he may approve a supplement. How did her potassium look pre-prednisolone? The reason I ask -- it's stored cellularly, so that means if it's even toward the low end of the scale in the bloodwork, it's probably quite low...the kitty body, once it uses up the potassium in existence due to illness or meds, goes into the "bank vault" of the cells to draw potassium...giving the impression on the bloodwork that the potassium is OK.

She's on a good bit of meds now so I'm sure your observations plus Dr. Webb's excellence will keep her comfy as possible. She may have been increasing in laying around more because the cancer was beginning to sap her strength. This happened to many of my friends' cats who were seniors and developed cancer.

You are doing a great job, especially with all of the stress you're under! You are one steely-eyed Cat Mom! We're praying and thinking of you every day. DH just asked, "How's Aunt Debby and Tiggi doing?"

Trusted Contributor

Just checking in on Tiggi. I am keeping her in my prayers and hope she feels a bit perkier soon.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Super Contributor

BJ, she had the cat crazies last night!

Sammycat, I'm not sure if potassium was checked Wednesday, but her previous bloodwork - I think in February - her potassium was in the normal range, but creeping towards the top of the low range. So I better see about some potassium today. I wish she wouldn't P so much.

Esteemed Contributor

Potassium levels were likely checked on her most recent bloodwork (esp. if he was checking her kidneys via the blood, which would be standard to do). Don't worry about the peeing -- it's normal on all of that pred and better to keep fluid out of her, as long as she is she drinking enough to compensate. You know how to do the test with lightly pinching her fur to make it a little tent to check for dehydration, right?

I'm sure Dr. Webb will set her right once you report her symptoms. Hang in there!