Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone.  I'm now 'caught up'.  ........... A word of advice would be for all of us to make a list of our meds and illnesses and kept in our glove box.  Just in case we have some sort of reaction.  I'm always worried about folks who might need medical attention instead.  First time I've thought about it until now, btw.   Lots of unknown circumstances each time we get into our cars.   We all have to be 'on the look-out', no matter where we happen to be.  Safety to all.   Good evening, and try to enjoy the rest of our week.  Keep safe.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Thanks, everyone.  I'm now 'caught up'.  ........... A word of advice would be for all of us to make a list of our meds and illnesses and kept in our glove box.  Just in case we have some sort of reaction.  I'm always worried about folks who might need medical attention instead.  First time I've thought about it until now, btw.   Lots of unknown circumstances each time we get into our cars.   We all have to be 'on the look-out', no matter where we happen to be.  Safety to all.   Good evening, and try to enjoy the rest of our week.  Keep safe.

@ROMARY I hope you don't mind if I piggyback off of your post but in addition to having your current meds handy which is a great idea I would also encourage everyone to question their doctors when they prescribe any type of drug, especially if it is being broadcast on commercials to the public.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I wonder how many people on this board take prescription pain meds and drive.

I bet a lot 

The thing about prescription pain meds (or any meds, or alcohol or recreational herbs) is that while the general recommendation is to not drive or operate machinery, etc., many of them say "until you know how it will affect you", which indicates such things do not affect everyone the same and that it's not some universal "don't ever or you're a drunken monster behind the wheel."

I have driven after having a drink, and I have driven 2-3 hours after taking hydrocodone or a muscle relaxant or an anti-anxiety medication.

I know exactly what my tolerances are. I had taken the drugs/substances many times at home before I ever did while not at home.

I never take more than one thing, i.e. I don't mix anything ever. With all my medications, I've always been more "tolerant" and have needed to switch off OTCs like allergy pills because one brand will stop working after awhile. Weight also affects reactions - a 100 lb person can handle less than a 200 lb person. This is even factored in on blood alcohol level/impaired driving charts, as to how long a body takes to process alcohol. The law recognizes that it's not an "automatic crime" to get behind the wheel after a drink.

I have never started to use more of anything because of this, as some people would probably like to assume. 

My point is - having one beer or glass of wine and driving makes one neither an alcoholic nor DUI-ready. And classifying everyone who has done so at one time or another as an accident waiting to happen is not accurate.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

He had no alcohol in system, just. 2 prescribed meds from dr. 

Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I bet a lot 

The thing about prescription pain meds (or any meds, or alcohol or recreational herbs) is that while the general recommendation is to not drive or operate machinery, etc., many of them say "until you know how it will affect you", which indicates such things do not affect everyone the same and that it's not some universal "don't ever or you're a drunken monster behind the wheel."

I have driven after having a drink, and I have driven 2-3 hours after taking hydrocodone or a muscle relaxant or an anti-anxiety medication.

I know exactly what my tolerances are. I had taken the drugs/substances many times at home before I ever did while not at home.

I never take more than one thing, i.e. I don't mix anything ever. With all my medications, I've always been more "tolerant" and have needed to switch off OTCs like allergy pills because one brand will stop working after awhile. Weight also affects reactions - a 100 lb person can handle less than a 200 lb person. This is even factored in on blood alcohol level/impaired driving charts, as to how long a body takes to process alcohol. The law recognizes that it's not an "automatic crime" to get behind the wheel after a drink.

I have never started to use more of anything because of this, as some people would probably like to assume. 

My point is - having one beer or glass of wine and driving makes one neither an alcoholic nor DUI-ready. And classifying everyone who has done so at one time or another as an accident waiting to happen is not accurate.

Drinking and driving is exactly that. One drink is still drinking and driving. You never know if that drink will push you over the limit legally. Every person is different. The person I know received a dui for a glass of wine at dinner. She had been at a wedding several hours earlier, had a couple of drinks and hours later her blood alcohol level was over the limit because of the wine. My point is that if you drink and get in a vehicle it's hypocritical to judge someone else who does the same thing.

Honored Contributor

@Maudelyn wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I bet a lot 

Drinking and driving is exactly that. One drink is still drinking and driving. You never know if that drink will push you over the limit legally. Every person is different. The person I know received a dui for a glass of wine at dinner. She had been at a wedding several hours earlier, had a couple of drinks and hours later her blood alcohol level was over the limit because of the wine. My point is that if you drink and get in a vehicle it's hypocritical to judge someone else who does the same thing.

@Maudelyn

It sounds like it wasn't a simple glass of wine, it was that glass of wine combined with several other drinks. It takes awhile to get alcohol out of one's system.  It also depends on weight, a smaller person can't handle as much as a larger person.  

One drink of regular size shouldn't put someone over the limit.  There may be exceptions, it's been awhile since I looked at the figures.

Honored Contributor

@Maudelyn wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I bet a lot 

I disagree. There is a difference, even if you refuse to acknowledge it, between having a drink and being drunk or impaired.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Tiger Woods

[ Edited ]

@Maudelyn wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I bet a lot 

ITA.

You can also have an adverse reaction to a drug months later that you didn't have when you first took it, same drug, same dose.  Happened to me several years ago.

Also happened to me with alcohol.  Met friends for dinner, had one drink, something I've had before, ate dinner, and afterwards was so loopy I had to sit around for a few hours before I was O.K. to drive.

To say you know exactly how your body reacts to the same stimulus every time can blow up in your face.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tiger Woods

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

He reserved an entire inpatient unit at a rehab hospital near his home in an effort to get sober and not lose joint custody of his kids. I hope it works.

He combined Xanax with at least one opioid-Vicodin. Lethal combo.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"