Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@glb613

I'll have to look for it. I can use it for cleaning again.   I haven't seen it in years.  Really haven't searched for it because when my washer broke, the repairman said it was because of the powdered detergent. Apparently, it gets under the agitator and eventually turns to cement.  That can cause the agitator to not work properly and that will burn up the motor.  Or, so he told me.   I've just been using the liquid and only here recently have I noticed that it's just not cleaning as well, and, the smell is not fresh and clean like it once was. 

Do an online search.  You'll probably have to order it.  I use a powder now, Nellie's, and run hot water until it dissolves.  My mother used powder degergant for decades and her washing machine was fine.  I think the key is hot water if you use a powder.  

Valued Contributor

In my experience the powdered Tide cleans better than the liquid. Having hard water, I also add a little Borax.

As for the Comet, perhaps it's the surface that's the problem, not the cleanser. Lots of fiberglass and less porcelain surfaces to clean these days.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tide Laundry Detergent

[ Edited ]

I remember washing dishes for the neighbor lady (10¢ for all the day's dirty dishes). She used Tide and in addition to being allergic to it, I could not hold on to the plates because they were so slippery from the soap. I hated using it and was broken out up to my elbows. Those were the days...

Respected Contributor

i remember solo from way back. it did smell nice. i can remember back then there was one fresh start. it was powdered and allso smelled good.

Honored Contributor

I use the Tide free and clear which is what anyone with allergies should be using. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have not noticed a change in the original scent but they have other scents now.

Do they still make CHEER?  I used to use either Tide or Cheer.

Respected Contributor

I was like most of you.  Grew up on Tide.  Got a front loader and it started to have an odor. A couple of years ago a new laundry soap showed up at WalMart called Persil.  I was given a nice size sample that did about 4 loads of clothes.  I switched right there and then  It worked so much better than the new Tide.  A friend from Europe said it was popular there.  I have not had any odor problem since then.  My clothes smell and look great.  I use the 2 in 1, but they also have a sensitive formula.  Consumer reports their laundry soap comparison and Persil beat them.

Honored Contributor

learn something interesting every day.

i dont think i have EVER seen anyone use TIDE to wash dishes......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Yep, I noticed it too a few years back. I grew up with the powdered Tide and they did something to it; the liquid and pods don't smell the same either.

I found out, by accident, that Tide wasn't cleaning the way it used to either. I use Costco's Kirkland detergent. While in the hospital, my MIL did the wash and brought her Tide as I was out of Kirklands. She left the bottle for me once I was home and able to get back to my routine. I washed towels and bathroom mats (all white) and thought they didn't look so great... kinda dingy. Washed them again, no better. 

Once the bottle was empty, I went back to Kirkland's. OMG, the difference was night and day!! The towels and bath mats were sparkling white like always. Have to wonder how poorly the clothing and sheets were washed....bleh.

Something happened to it...but what, I don't know.

Respected Contributor

my wife is alergic to regular detergents and i bought tide free and clear and she broke out in hives from head to foot way worse than with regular detergeants. i had to rewash all her cothes i washed in tide.

@151949 wrote:

I use the Tide free and clear which is what anyone with allergies should be using.