Honored Contributor

I don't know exactly what it is about Tide for me but I can't even be in a house that uses Tide.   I get so sick.   When I visited my father, several years ago, I couldn't figure out why I was so sick before the first day was over and happened to pass by the laundry room and saw that his wife used Tide. Yup, that was it.    It was horrible.    

It might have something to do with my asthma, and other upper respiratory challenges, but Tide has always made me sick.

Valued Contributor

I saw a brand I haven't seen in years, a couple weeks ago. Oxydol. I got so excited that I bought a box. Smiley LOL  Now I don't even remember where I was.

I lead wild and crazy life, obviously! Lol!

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

my wife is alergic to regular detergents and i bought tide free and clear and she broke out in hives from head to foot way worse than with regular detergeants. i had to rewash all her cothes i washed in tide.

@151949 wrote:

I use the Tide free and clear which is what anyone with allergies should be using. 

@Pooky1, yes, because one can't safely say that "anyone with allergies" should use such and such.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I do use Tide and continue to like it better than others at this time.  A friend of mine moved and left (dumped lol) her Kirkland detergent here because she didn't want to fool with moving it with her.  I wasn't impressed with the detergent compared to Tide at that time. I have used Wisk, but went back to using Tide. In the end,  I think it depends on your laundry needs, the water quality, type of washing machine, etc. along with personal preference.

Someone sent the last Consumer Reports ratings of laundry detergent via email and I looked that up.  According to that report, here are the top rated laundry detergents:

1.  Tide Ultra Stain Release

2.  Persil Pro Clean Power 2 in 1 liquid  (scored the same as #1)

3.  Tide plus Bleach Alternative (liquid)

4.  Persil Pro Clean Power liquid

5.  Clorox Green Works

6.  Wisk Deep Clean

7. Persil Pro Clean Power Sensitive Skin liquid

8. Member's Mark Ultimate Clean

9. Persil Power Clean Power - Pearls

10. Tide Coldwater Clean

11. Kirkland Signature Ultra Clean

12. Tide Pur Clean

13. All Radiant

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I strictly use the Tide pods now, and I agree as I have gotten older my sense of smell is considerably more sensitive, what scents I used to love now cause me to cough, so I have to get the scent Spring Meadow, it is the only one that does not send me into coughing fits.

Honored Contributor

I always get free and clear detergent. I'm sensitive to all that stuff, and I hate that smell on my clothes. I like Costco Kirkland or Ecos detergent.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

I use Tide Free and Clear because we all have allergies.  Thankfully, it works well for us.  Allergies are so individual that it's impossible to predict what someone might be allergic to.  My DIL just found out that she is allergic to Benadryl of all things!  She had outpatient surgery and was prescribed several meds to take afterwards, one of which was Benadryl.  She broke out in hives all over her body and the doctors determined by process of elimination that it was the Benadryl that did it.  So while the rest of us might take Benadryl to stop an allergic  reaction, in her body it has the opposite effect. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@colliegirls   They do still make Cheer.  I thought I might try that one day and smelled it while in the grocery store.  I think they have changed the scent to that as well.

When I was a little girl, I loved the commercial that showed the clean, white sheets on the clothesline.  I always wanted my  Mother to change to Cheer but nothing would sway her away from Tide. Smiley Happy  

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam  There are several posts on here about Kirklands.  We don't have Cosco's around here.  Do they carry it anywhere else?  

Respected Contributor

I washed a load of whites -  some t shirts that my husband wears when he is working outside.  My old faithful Tide let me down again.  Even using bleach, they came out smelling, well, not fresh.  

My dear husband went to the grocery store for me yesterday and I asked him to buy me a bottle of the Tide Simply Clean and Fresh,  Refreshing Breeze scent.  We will see how that works.  I read that the Simply Clean products contain more baking soda than my old favorite regular Tide  .  At least the clothes smell fresh.   

Will have to see if there is any reaction on my granddaughters tender skin before I give a yay or nay.  After reading all the responses, I feel confident to say that it must be the Original Tide detergent that's causing her to itch and break out.