Respected Contributor

I know this may sound like an  odd observation  to some of you, but I have used Tide Laundry Detergent for more years than I care to say.  My Mother used it when I was growing up - for everything --  laundry, dishes, mopping the floors, cleaning everything.  Of course, back in those days, there was only the powdered detergent in the big orange boxes.  I used the powder myself until it was no longer readily available. 

I have recently, and by recently, I mean in the last 6 months,  noticed that the smell is not the same.  It doesn't smell the same in the bottle, and, as I iron my clothes, the same fresh, clean, smell doesn't rise up from the clothing with the steam.  In fact, there have been several occassions that I wondered if I had washed the item at all. 

I've asked my husband if he has noticed a difference, but due to his age, he has lost his sense of smell and can't tell.  Has anyone else noticed a change?

Valued Contributor

@Georgiagrama  I have to agree with you.  We are also long time Tide users. with all the different types now it seems that the scent has changed.  Plus, I was having issues with my left eye.  I sleep on my left side. It was itching and watering like crazy and there was some peeling on my eyelids. Finally went to the eye doc and he said I must be allergic to something and the eyelid was contact dermatitis.  I might go out on a limb and say it could very well be the Tide.  I've used the Tide in the Yellow bottles and like that scent. It seems to last. But whatever happened to the original scent, it's not there.  Do you remember a brand called Solo that had the softener already in the detergent. That was a favorite of ours. 

Helen852
Esteemed Contributor

@Helen852

My daughter had the same problem and found it was her nail polish!  Who knew.....

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I switched to Tide with Febreeze a few years ago and haven't had any issues with that formula.

Several years ago I noted a smell with my laundry but it was due to a problem with the Maytag Neptune washer and they had a recall on it because many others experienced the same. That's the only time I've had issues and it was my machine instead of my detergent.

Respected Contributor

@Helen852   

I am so happy that you replied.  I've used Tide for 70 years and thought I must be losing my sense of smell along with my husband!!  Smiley Happy   I do remember SOLO but always stayed with Tide.   When you could still get the powder, it was great to mix in a bucket with warm water and clean baseboards, counters, bathrooms, everything.  I loved the clean smell my my home would have.  Now that it's liquid, it doesn't work as well, and now, the clean smell is gone. 

I don't know what I will choose to use now, but I am concerned now that you mentioned your allergies.  My granddaughter has very sensitive skin and has childhood eczema. I never use bleach on my sheets when she comes to spend the night.  Here lately, she would crawl up in my clean bed and immediately begin to itch and  I had begun to wonder if it could be the Tide.  

They have changed something about it. I can't believe I am going to have to consider changing after all these years.    

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan 

I wish I could blame it on my washer but I have the old reliable maytag with the agitator. 

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama

I don't know what the heck their problem is, but they seem to constantly mess with the scents and formulas ...  no idea why.  

My fave was the Tide with Downey Sweet Dreams and they discontinued that.  I hate the other two Downey scents.  I have been meaning to complain on the website, so now I won't forget.

Honored Contributor

I went from powder, liquid to the gel pods.  Still smells the same to me.

I didn't know your sense of smell changes as you get older.  At 67 I must be a late bloomer. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

I didn't realize they had a web site.  I might just try to complain myself.  

Why any company would mess with a tried and true product is beyond me.   Tide and Comet were the only cleaning products I could depend on and even Comet doesn't clean as well as it once did.

I wish I could understand why they change a good product that's been around forever.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@wildcat fan 

I wish I could blame it on my washer but I have the old reliable maytag with the agitator. 

I went back to the top loading Maytag and I like it so much better!  I've used Tide practically my whole life.  My mom used it and now I buy it.  Every once in a while I try something else when it's on sale or I have a coupon, but I always go back to Tide.   I buy the Tide with Febreeze liquid in the non HE formula and haven't had any problems with it.