Honored Contributor

Re: Thyroid Medication - Synthroid

I have NOT read every contribution posted here, but two quick points-

Thyroid REPLACEMENT is exactly that. It is a chemical replacement for a HORMONE that some thyroid glands, but not mine, make naturally. What you take to replace what your body is missing is NOT a drug to make your thyroid get well after it stops working correctly.

AND- thyroid replacement can either be synthetic (Synthroid for example) or natural (Armour Thyroid for example).

After taking Synthroid for quite a while, I requested a trial of Armour Thyroid, and that seemed to work better for me. I have continued to take it to this day, and it continues to work well for me.

In my personal experience, I received almost NO education about my condition from the widely acknowledged “expert” I went to for quite some time.

I now go to a wonderful doctor who TALKS TO ME, and is concerned with how I FEEL. 

Thyroid management is complicated and somewhat hit hit or miss. If you are given a prescription and shoved out the door, it may be worth your time to seek out a second opinion.

I got NO negative symptoms from EITHER replacement, but FOR ME, Armour Thyroid works better. 

ASK QUESTIONS AND EXPECT THEM TO BE ANSWERED.

Honored Contributor

@bonappetit wrote:

I would ask an MD who specializes in endocrinology, and endocrinologist. They are the experts on this topic. 

110% CORRECT, and SOME endocrinologists are MUCH BETTER, MORE SUPPORTIVE, and MORE HELPFUL, so  don’t be afraid of seeking out 2nd and 3rd opinions, if you can afford them.

Contributor

I have been on Levotroid for 43 years and never had a problem. I have my TSH done 2x a year and all is well.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Georgiagrama   you don't need anyone's pemission, to ask any question here. It says a lot more about someone, who just posts something nasty ,on a thread like this ,than it says about you

@cherry  Thank you. !!      

Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Georgiagrama   you don't need anyone's pemission, to ask any question here. It says a lot more about someone, who just posts something nasty ,on a thread like this ,than it says about you

@cherry  Thank you. !!      

👍 Exactly!

Respected Contributor

I was told from several pharmacists to never get this drug in the generic form because they can’t get the correct dosage right.   As for side effects, none I ever experienced.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, brand name Synthroid  provides more  consistency in  TSH labs values for some patients  if they follow guidelines of taking early morning without food , do not eat for abt 1 hr , do not take within 4 hrs of antacids and vitamins containing calcium.

Some people don't metabolize the generic levothyroxine .

Thyroid hormone is essential -  doing without  with low thryroid  functioning   can cause life threatening condition such as myedema & heart failure.

Esteemed Contributor

This is one of the few medications that you have to be  absolutely careful  with how other medications and  esp calcium  decreases it's effectiveness .

Take early morning atleast 1 hr before breakfast - preferably 2 hrs before eating this includes even drinking coffee/tea. Do not take within 4 hrs of any  antacid medication  and vitamins with calcium or tums  .

There used to be a big problem with Armour desicated thyroid medication which did not contain consistent amounts  of the medication and thus there was a litigation 15-20  yrs ago .

Trusted Contributor

I've been taking Synthroid for four years now.

No problems with it at all.

dee

Honored Contributor

I've been on Synthroid for 20+ years after having a tumor and part of my thyroid removed.  The only side effect I've had is less tolerance of heat.  It's not a big change, just that I don't get as cold as I used to.  Otherwise, it's worked fine for me.  

At first, I had to have my blood checked at 6 months but went to once a year once we found the correct dose.  

Overactive and underactive thyroid present a lot of potential health problems so take your medicine.