Trusted Contributor

Re: Thyroid Medication - Synthroid

@Georgiagrama  I can’t tolerate generics, so I do take name brand Synthroid. I’ve been on it for 2 -1/2 years. The problem I experience with it is my lack of sleep. I can’t sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time. I eventually fall back to sleep, but nothing like it was before taking this medication.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883 @Georgiagrama @Bird mama @RespectLife @morganjen and everyone else on this thread:

I Googled the thyroid labs and biotin question and there are several articles on it.  The common thread is this:

Thyroid tests are not the only ones effected by taking mega doses of biotin.

Biotin is water soluable so it is flushed out of the body quickly.

Stop taking it a few days prior to blood draws.

Apparently this has led to many wrong diagnosis and or treatment plans.  

FYI

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

Like many who responded, I also take levothyroxine and have been on it for 20 years. Once you get the correct dosage, you will not notice side effects unless the dosage needs to be increased. That happened once about 8 years ago.  Good luck.  

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Here we go again.  I guess it's just impossible to make people understand that each individual may react very differntly to a medication.  Asking others for their experiences wih a medication is a fools trip.  Even your doctor may not be able to tell you if you'll experience any side effets or exactly how your body will react until you start taking the medication.

@Cats3000 

Wow.  No need to get snarky.   Whenever someone takes a new medication, even hearsay reactions are important .... it gives the person an idea of what to be alert for.   IMO, that can be very helpful.   

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Georgiagrama  I can’t tolerate generics, so I do take name brand Synthroid. I’ve been on it for 2 -1/2 years. The problem I experience with it is my lack of sleep. I can’t sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time. I eventually fall back to sleep, but nothing like it was before taking this medication.

@Mimi 1883 

I assume you take it in the morning .....  what did your doc say about this?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  Said that’s a normal side effect that many people complain about. Mentioned to my endocrinologist and my pcp.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

I had a lot of different side effects. A terrible headache, that just pounded, and  hot flashes and upset stomach. I was also very cranky  ,but that might have been because I felt so ill. However ,it can affect your mood

Esteemed Contributor

I had thyroid cancer in 2008 so after a total thyroïdectomy I was put on Synthroid. I’m tested twice a year and have had to readjust dosage from time to time. In general, I feel no side effects. 

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

Here we go again.  I guess it's just impossible to make people understand that each individual may react very differntly to a medication.  Asking others for their experiences wih a medication is a fools trip.  Even your doctor may not be able to tell you if you'll experience any side effets or exactly how your body will react until you start taking the medication.

I could not disagree more @Cats3000 

The experiences others have shared on this thread and previous ones have been an invaluable source of info...NOT a fools trip at all!

Talking with others who have gone through this issue is a valuable way to collect info and questions to then ask your doctor.

My GF mentioned things I had never even thought of.  Hearing from other women is helpful.

NO ONE here is foolish enough to think how one person reacts to a medication is how I would react.

When you are faced with a medical issue, I think it is helpful and insightful to talk with others who have already been on the same journey.

@RespectLife  All I can say is thank you.  The responses have been informative and helpful  for me.  I hope they have helped others.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama   you don't need anyone's pemission, to ask any question here. It says a lot more about someone, who just posts something nasty ,on a thread like this ,than it says about you