Respected Contributor

Re: Thyroid Medication - Synthroid

@Dawnie wrote:

I have taken synthroid over 30 years. I had a routine blood draw 2 weeks ago. The nurse asked if I take biotin.  Yes, I do. The nurse said it affects thyroid levels. Sure enough, my levels are flagged.   Going to see a new physician soon. May have to stop biotin.  

@Dawnie 

I have read that large doses of biotin (like hair, skin, nails, vitamins) have been found to alter SOME blood tests.  Not all, but some.  So, if one is taking a lot of biotin, they should look it up before getting blood tests.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

I have taken levothyroxine for several years.  I don't notice any side effects I can attribute to it.

However, it really did make a positive change for me.  No weight loss, but after about 6-7 weeks on it, I could stay awake past 8pm again!  I had been so fatigued and didn't really get it for awhile.  So, I would say be patient about feeling better.  But it did help me.

Still on the same dose as I started on (75mcg).

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I wanted to get on it because they said the wgt falls off of you I"m not fat, but, I could be 10 lbs lighter.

Anyway, Dr did blood test, normal, so, no synthroid for me. She said to me

"you don't just take that for wgt control it can affect your heart and cause osteoporosis" named off a bunch of things and said she wouldn't write for it, so, it's back to starvation for me.

@SharkE 

I didn't lose any weight by taking it.  It did make me feel better as far as fatigue.  I was so tired I could go to bed at 7pm.  Hadn't felt that way since early pregnancy.  Maybe if one takes too much they might lose weight.  I remember some crazy diet way back that said to take thyroid medication.  As you might guess, lots of problems showed up!  I THINK it was take thyroid medication, Lasix (dump water), and Digoxin (too much causes loss of appetite but also really serious other problems!).

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I have been on thyroid medications since the eighties.

At first I had hyperthyroidism which caused me to have a fast heart rate, much anxiety and I couldn't eat or sleep for the most part.  I went to several doctors who diagnosed me with anxiety and prescribed Valium.  After going to an endocrinologist finally, I was given the proper medication for hyperthyroidism which showed up in a blood test.  

Within time the hyper went to hypo and it was then I started taking synthroid and that is what I have been on since.  There have been times when my numbers fluctuated and my meds had to be decreased and or increased.  

On my mother's side, including my mother, eight people had thyroid conditions.  It was definitely genetic in my case.

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I have taken levothyroxine for several years.  I don't notice any side effects I can attribute to it.

However, it really did make a positive change for me.  No weight loss, but after about 6-7 weeks on it, I could stay awake past 8pm again!  I had been so fatigued and didn't really get it for awhile.  So, I would say be patient about feeling better.  But it did help me.

Still on the same dose as I started on (75mcg).

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  I am hoping for the same results.  I don't feel bad, but I am so tired of feeling tired, which, was the initial reason for the test.  Fatigue, as a senior caring for a husband and a 9 year old, is not the ideal.   

Trusted Contributor

I have Hashimoto's and take 88mcg of Synthroid. When I go hyperthyroid, I have to fight them to keep me at that dosge. I go hyper and hypo, up and down. I've had them lower it three times in the past and my symptoms got worse. I used to be on 100mcg and they lowered it to 75 based on my TSH, despite my symptoms they only agreed to raise it to 88. I have no side effects from the medication itself. I just have to remember not to take any calcium supplements within 4 hours or food within 2 hours.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

Here we go again.  I guess it's just impossible to make people understand that each individual may react very differntly to a medication.  Asking others for their experiences wih a medication is a fools trip.  Even your doctor may not be able to tell you if you'll experience any side effets or exactly how your body will react until you start taking the medication.

I could not disagree more @Cats3000 

The experiences others have shared on this thread and previous ones have been an invaluable source of info...NOT a fools trip at all!

Talking with others who have gone through this issue is a valuable way to collect info and questions to then ask your doctor.

My GF mentioned things I had never even thought of.  Hearing from other women is helpful.

NO ONE here is foolish enough to think how one person reacts to a medication is how I would react.

When you are faced with a medical issue, I think it is helpful and insightful to talk with others who have already been on the same journey.

Honored Contributor

Yes @tends2dogs , your post did help me!  Thank you!

I started w/ the generic of syn in June.  NO relief. 

I just switched to Armour 3 wk ago, but honestly, have not had any change yet either.  I don't know my dosage off the top of my head.  See??  Foggy brain!  LOL

I take 3 of those tiny pills.

I keep trying to tell myself to focus on feeling well, not focus on the weight but that is very hard for me. 

My next appt. is Nov. 7th and I will do full blood work a week before.  I appreciate your suggestion of working with how I feel NOT the numbers.

Thank you and ALL posters here and Thank you OP for starting this discussion!

Honored Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

I have taken synthroid over 30 years. I had a routine blood draw 2 weeks ago. The nurse asked if I take biotin.  Yes, I do. The nurse said it affects thyroid levels. Sure enough, my levels are flagged.   Going to see a new physician soon. May have to stop biotin.  

@Dawnie 

That is an interesting post.  I know that Biotin can interfere with certain blood test results giving false/positives etc.

I have been taking biotin for a long time now...I don't know why, hasn't helped the hair loss in the lease.

I just ran out...I may stop taking it.  Please let us know what the Dr. says about biotin.

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Hi, it's me again, lol.

I was taking Biotin for a couple of years before finding out that my thyroid was underactive.  Maybe that's why I never suffered hair loss, I don't know.

Before One a Day Women's (regular Women's, not the over 50 Women's) starting including Biotin in their formula, I would take my One a Day and a Nature Made Biotin (2500 mcg) each morning. 

After One a Day Women's starting including Biotin in their formula, I now take a One a Day and a Nature Made Biotin (1000 mcg) each morning.

My thyroid bloodwork has remained steady all of this time.  I don't know if this is because I take my brand name Synthroid at night or what.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise