Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thyroid Medication - Synthroid

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 , must be OPs TSH that's really high.

I had a lab draw this morning and had a call from Drs office this afternoon.

My T3 levels are a bit high (since I lost some weight), and my TSH is a bit low, so they're lowering my dose from 125 to 112 mcg.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack   I second that.  I take it with no side effects.  I say this because meds and I don't seem to mix most of the time.  This one is perfect.  Thyroid problems run in my family and this one drug suits me. 

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

@NickNack   I second that.  I take it with no side effects.  I say this because meds and I don't seem to mix most of the time.  This one is perfect.  Thyroid problems run in my family and this one drug suits me. 

@bonnielu  I'm the same way.  Meds and I don't mix well most of the time.  I'm glad to know you had no ill effects.  Hoping the same for me. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

Here we go again.  I guess it's just impossible to make people understand that each individual may react very differntly to a medication.  Asking others for their experiences wih a medication is a fools trip.  Even your doctor may not be able to tell you if you'll experience any side effets or exactly how your body will react until you start taking the medication.

@Cats3000  I am very well aware that everyone is different and everyone will have a different experience with the same medication.  It's like going into a pool - some may think the water is cold, some may think it's warm.  However, I see no reason for you to refer to me as a fool just because I am curious about other's experiences - especially with a nic like "cats01".  (In this case I don't think curiosity will kill me ) I'm sure that when I return to the Doctor in two weeks, if I am having any strange reaction to the medication I will know and he will do what is necessary.  I will say, by the responses, I have learned that I have a lot to learn about my thyroid, so, just think, some good did come out of my curiosity. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama   We learn from other peoples experiences. Woman Happy  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

I have taken synthroid over 30 years. I had a routine blood draw 2 weeks ago. The nurse asked if I take biotin.  Yes, I do. The nurse said it affects thyroid levels. Sure enough, my levels are flagged.   Going to see a new physician soon. May have to stop biotin.  

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Georgiagrama   We learn from other peoples experiences. Woman Happy  

@Bird mama  Thank you!   I've always believed that as well. 

Respected Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

I have taken synthroid over 30 years. I had a routine blood draw 2 weeks ago. The nurse asked if I take biotin.  Yes, I do. The nurse said it affects thyroid levels. Sure enough, my levels are flagged.   Going to see a new physician soon. May have to stop biotin.  

@Dawnie 

WOW!  I'm going to mention this to my daughter.  She takes a higher dose of Synthroid than was prescribed for me and sees no results.  She also takes biotin.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

I would be interested in hearing what they say about this.  I specifically asked my PA about this last month before my labs were drawned.  I take biotin also.  I had read that it can effect a heart marker - not sure what - so I didn't take it for a week prior.  She said it wasn't a problem.  

Please post again when you see the new physician if you would.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would ask an MD who specializes in endocrinology, and endocrinologist. They are the experts on this topic.