Honored Contributor

Re: Thyroid Medication - Synthroid

Figures, LOL

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I started on it 22 years ago (5 weeks after the birth of my first child). As long as the dosage is correct, no issues. If not enough, I experience massive hair loss, my nails peel (finger and toes), my skin peels as if I have a sunburn, I gain weight extremely quickly (10 pounds a month plus), I'm exhausted and can barely move and eventually will go into pulmonary distress due to my asthma.

If too much, I feel horribly dizzy and dry mouth with ringing in my ears.

When the dose is correct, I forget I have Hashimoto thyroiditis.

Also, my body can not tolerate anything to do with almonds or cruciferous vegetables, else my thyroid levels go off (they are shown to block synthroid from working properly in some people). I have to take my meds at LEAST an hour before eating anything or 2 hours after eating for the same reason. 

Last, I ONLY use the brand name. I've tried the generic and my blood tests show my levels are off (I test every 4-6 weeks).

Just my experience. There is a book called Thyroid for Dummies which is excellent. 

@SahmIam 

UGH, that is me!  Everything I highlighted.  I suffered for over a year and was pretty much ignored by my PC.  She only ran the basic panels which showed my levels were off but she kept hesitating to put me on anything since it would be for life.

At my yearly gyno, I talked (whined) about what was going on.  She ran the entire panel and found not only my levels off but my antibodies were 297, supposed to be 9!  (Hasimoto)

She said she was treating the whole woman (all issues) but like an idiot, I thought I should go back to my PC.  She prescribed Levo.  12 weeks and nothing.  She ran two BASIC panels again...no idea where my antibodies were.

I gave up and went back to my gyno.  She switched me to Armour because it treats both 3 & 4.  Have only been on it for 3 weeks now. 

@Icegoddess  mentioned this in her post (Thank you)

My question to both of you....how long does it take to have relief of symptoms?  This undeserved weight gain has me very upset boarding depressed!  The other issues are no picnic either.

Another posted stated on a prev. thread it does take a long time.  Gyno said to expect 9 mos.+ to be back to myself!

Would you ladies mind sharing your experience with the time frame? 

I keep getting more down since nothing seems to be happening.

TIA!

Honored Contributor

I just called to renew my script for Levothyroxine.  My endocrinologists doesn't want me to take generics.  His script is on for Levothyroxine and he even stipulates the manufacturer.  I don't know what you mean by experience.  I take it, I follow the instructions and I get the proper level of thyroid hormones in my body.  When I first had my thyroid ablated, years ago.  He had to tinker with the dosage but once he got that right,  it's been clear sailing ever since.  I do get blood tests several times a year.

Honored Contributor

One more question, Please!!!

For those of you taking it at night...

How many hours should you not eat before you take it? 3 hours after dinner, 4? More?

I have read varying info....

Taking it at night would work much better for me.

Right now, I am taking it at 5-530am.  Hold off on coffee until 6:30.  No food at all til 9am.  No other meds until noon.   I think I have that correct....

but I would like to get the best effects without waiting SO long for my morning coffee!

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!!!!

Honored Contributor

My doctor shrunk a thyroid nodule I had when I was a teacher.  I couldn't even tell I was taking with it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve been on Synthroid since 1994. 

The first dose they started me on was too low, the second was too high so we settled with a middle dose.  And I’ve been on that same dose every since. 

No problems at all taking it.  I ALWAYS buy the brand name,  never the generic, as I’ve been told by multiple doctors that the medication levels in the generic aren’t consistent. 

I take it first thing in the morning and don’t eat for at least an hour after.  First thing to me can include the middle of the night, if I wake up and can’t sleep. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

My Dr. called this morning to let me know that my thyroid levels are really high.  He prescribed Synthroid.

If you are taking this medication, what has been your experience with it.     

@Georgiagrama   I take levothyroxine, which is generic Synthroid.  I've taken this for about 20 years.  My thyroid levels have been normal ever since starting the levothyroxine.  It's been a wonderful drug for me.  My doctor told me I would always have to take this, or my thyroid levels would get out of control again.

@NickNack     @Georgiagrama 

Ditto .... been on it for years, no side effects.

@Georgiagrama 

Are you sure your MD wants you to take it because your own thyroid levels are too HIGH?   

Valued Contributor

I've been on Synthroid for about 15 years without any problems and my mother had been on it for many years. I read an article in the Health section of our newspaper a while back that said most generic medications are the same as the name brand except for thyroid medicine.

Esteemed Contributor

I took regular thyroid and leter Synthroid ( which is synthetic thyroid) for years and years in my younger days. Then all of a sudden, my thyroid was way out of line. I went off of the medication and never took it again. The only side effect I had with it, and that was at the end of my taking it, was I got to the point where I could not sleep.

QVC Customer Care