Trusted Contributor

Re: Thyroid Medication - Synthroid

Same for me,have taken it for years good results

Trusted Contributor

A coworker from years ago said she could not take thyroid medication of any kind. They all gave her chest pains.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

@Georgiagrama @tends2dogs et al

I finally got an appointment with a PA regarding blood test thyroid flags with biotin.   She said  stop biotin for two weeks then another blood test. 

keep ya posted!

Respected Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

@Georgiagrama @tends2dogs et al

I finally got an appointment with a PA regarding blood test thyroid flags with biotin.   She said  stop biotin for two weeks then another blood test. 

keep ya posted!

@Dawnie   Please do let us know what you find out.  

Esteemed Contributor

Been taking since I was in my 20's, now 83.  Just had my test recently and too low, so Dr. cutting back.  I lost 7 lbs.  I have been taking the same dosage, and it was fine last time.  I think sometime the pills are fresher than other times.  Could be very wrong, but why the difference if taking the same amount.  I take the brand synthroid.

Esteemed Contributor

Works for me.  Taking it over 15 years.  

Trusted Contributor

Hello ladies, I am not a frequent poster but this is a topic that I am currently struggling with, and I appreciate your thoughts and input regarding your experiences with thyroid issues and treatment.  I have been on Levothyroxin for 4 yrs. and still feel unwell (insomnia, anxiety, extremely dry skin, rashes, weight gain, etc).  I began taking this med at 25mg. and have gradually increased to 50mg.  Recent lab test showed hormone levels are within the normal range, but I suspect they could be better.

Could those of you who have said that you’ve successfully taken your various medications with no side effects please elaborate?  For example, are you able to maintain your weight?  I don’t know if the problems listed above are side effects of the medication or indicators that I should be taking a higher dosage or taking a different medication.  I will discuss with my doctor at next physical but wanted to know how you have dealt with this frustrating condition.

Thanks so much.

Super Contributor

I take the natural form of thyroid replacement, Naturethroid (was on Armour but the price rose multiple times when another pharmaceutical company bought it).  I was very sick with Hashimoto’s and was put on Synthroid, which actually made me feel much worse.  At my wits end, after crying in the parking lot of my doctor’s office after she told me I was “fine”, i booked an appt with an integrative MD a few hours away from my home.  The first change he made was to take me off the Synthroid and I was told to not do anything differently for the next 6 weeks other than that.

I felt signifjcantly better just off the Synthroid, but still pretty awful in general.  He then had me go gluten free as I had tested gluten intolerant. He also ran a plethora of blood tests on me and he explained that, indeed, the Synthroid would have made me worse because of what was going on with my individual biology.  He put me on the natural form of thyroid replacement and we also had to address an adrenal issue with supplements.  Oh, and my iron was very low, even though the other doctor told me it was “fine”.  I took a plant based iron supplement, which I still take as I do not eat red meat. Vitamin D was very low too.  

I am so grateful that I found this doctor as it changed my life. I could barely function and take care of my young children at the time.  I was afraid I was going to fall asleep while driving them home from school as that was my “crash” time of day.  I still get a lot of labs taken once a year just to see if we need to tweak anything as the endocrine system is more than just your thyroid, and also to see if I have any vitmamin/mineral imbalances.  It’s been 10 years now and I am well.  So if a doctor tells you that you are “fine” and you feel anything but, please search for an integrative MD or practitioner who will listen to you.  There is nothing like waking up in the morning and feeling healthy!