Respected Contributor

Thyroid Medication - Synthroid

My Dr. called this morning to let me know that my thyroid levels are really high.  He prescribed Synthroid.

If you are taking this medication, what has been your experience with it.     

Honored Contributor

Re: Thyroid Medication - Synthroid

@Georgiagrama wrote:

My Dr. called this morning to let me know that my thyroid levels are really high.  He prescribed Synthroid.

@Georgiagrama   I take levothyroxine, which is generic Synthroid.  I've taken this for about 20 years.  My thyroid levels have been normal ever since starting the levothyroxine.  It's been a wonderful drug for me.  My doctor told me I would always have to take this, or my thyroid levels would get out of control again.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Georgiagrama   I take levothyroxine, which is generic Synthroid.  I've taken this for about 20 years.  My thyroid levels have been normal ever since starting the levothyroxine.  It's been a wonderful drug for me.  My doctor told me I would always have to take this, or my thyroid levels would get out of control again.

Same for me.  I seemed to lose a little weight when I first started taking it.

Honored Contributor

I started on it 22 years ago (5 weeks after the birth of my first child). As long as the dosage is correct, no issues. If not enough, I experience massive hair loss, my nails peel (finger and toes), my skin peels as if I have a sunburn, I gain weight extremely quickly (10 pounds a month plus), I'm exhausted and can barely move and eventually will go into pulmonary distress due to my asthma.

If too much, I feel horribly dizzy and dry mouth with ringing in my ears.

When the dose is correct, I forget I have Hashimoto thyroiditis.

Also, my body can not tolerate anything to do with almonds or cruciferous vegetables, else my thyroid levels go off (they are shown to block synthroid from working properly in some people). I have to take my meds at LEAST an hour before eating anything or 2 hours after eating for the same reason. 

Last, I ONLY use the brand name. I've tried the generic and my blood tests show my levels are off (I test every 4-6 weeks).

Just my experience. There is a book called Thyroid for Dummies which is excellent. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@NickNack   You've had no noticable side effects?  I have found that with some medications (especialy HBP meds),   the cure is worse than the disease.  

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

Same for me.  I seemed to lose a little weight when I first started taking it.

Ditto for me. Been taking Synthroid  for 15 years. No side effects or anything. Just a pill to take the rest of your life and a doctors visit to make sure levels are good. No biggie.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

Same here.  I agree with @NickNack 

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I started on it 22 years ago (5 weeks after the birth of my first child). As long as the dosage is correct, no issues. If not enough, I experience massive hair loss, my nails peel (finger and toes), my skin peels as if I have a sunburn, I gain weight extremely quickly (10 pounds a month plus), I'm exhausted and can barely move and eventually will go into pulmonary distress due to my asthma.

If too much, I feel horribly dizzy and dry mouth with ringing in my ears.

When the dose is correct, I forget I have Hashimoto thyroiditis.

Also, my body can not tolerate anything to do with almonds or cruciferous vegetables, else my thyroid levels go off (they are shown to block synthroid from working properly in some people). I have to take my meds at LEAST an hour before eating anything or 2 hours after eating for the same reason. 

Last, I ONLY use the brand name. I've tried the generic and my blood tests show my levels are off (I test every 4-6 weeks).

Just my experience. There is a book called Thyroid for Dummies which is excellent. 

Woman Surprised  Holy cow!  That sounds terrible for you.  

Honored Contributor

You probably will get answers (and advice) all over the spectrum on that.  When I was first diagnosed there were no groups to discuss these things and I could only find one book to buy.  I basically took the approach of taking my meds every day and continue on with my life.  That has pretty much worked for me. I have had no side effects and it takes quite awhile to see a difference but I have had no problems with it.  

The initial dose the doctor has put you on may not be what you end up with.  You will need to go back in 3 or 4 monts to be re-tested after which he may need to tweak the dosage.  Once you finally get on the right dose, you will still need to be tested on a regular basis to make sure it's still working for you.  For me, that has been once a year, but some do it more often.

More than likely, depending on your insurance, you will get Levothyroxine which is the generic form of Synthroid.  Some will tell you it's not the same, but it is the exact same dosage of the medicine.  What is different about it is the different fillers used by the different manufacturers which could affect how well your body absorbs the medication.  I, personally, can't tell the diffrence when I have been on one or the other, but a lot of people are quiet passionate about one or the other.

The other question is whether your doctor tested all of your thyroid levels or just TSH. Mine tested them all in the beginning, but I have been quite stable since and he only tests TSH for me.  However, if your hypothyroid is caused by the auto-immune condition Hashimotos you should have all the levels checked and may need your medication supplemeted with a T3 (Synthroid is only T4) or go on Armour or Naturethroid which is basically dessicated pig's thyroid which has both T3 and T4.  I really don't know much past that on that aspect as I am quite happily stable on just the T4.  

That's probably more than you really wanted to know.  Basically, be patient; symptoms will not disappear overnight.  And get your levels checked again in a few months.

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Georgiagrama 

I’ve been on it for over 30 years, 100 mcg. I have never had a problem with it. Just take it first thing in the morning and don’t eat for an hour. I was diagnosed hypothyroid.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986