Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thru 10/4: Earthquake advisory - Southern California

@Noel7 wrote:

A table is not as strong as a doorway.  A strong doorway in a well built house, it's the structure of the doorway that makes it best.

When was the last time anyone saw rubble, rubble, doorway, rubble, rubble, doorway, rubble, rubble, doorway?

A sturdy table can protect you from falling debris. Key word is sturdy.

I'll take the recommendations from those who have spent years studying earthquakes, and if they recommend that people drop, cover, and hold on, then by golly, that's what I'm going to do.   

For further information, go to USGS.gov.

Honored Contributor

I have heard that the currently advised, best place to go during an earthquake, is under a table.  Even when we have minor shakes....that's where my cat goes.  

Esteemed Contributor

https://www.ready.gov/earthquakes

For further information regarding earthquakes.

What to do before, during, and after a quake, from the experts who spend years studying them.

When one lives in earthquake country, one learns to educate themselves by listening to those whose job is to study them.

Knowledge is power.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

I have heard that the currently advised, best place to go during an earthquake, is under a table.  Even when we have minor shakes....that's where my cat goes.  

Smart cat! :-)

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

A table is not as strong as a doorway.  A strong doorway in a well built house, it's the structure of the doorway that makes it best.

When was the last time anyone saw rubble, rubble, doorway, rubble, rubble, doorway, rubble, rubble, doorway?

A sturdy table can protect you from falling debris. Key word is sturdy.

I'll take the recommendations from those who have spent years studying earthquakes, and if they recommend that people drop, cover, and hold on, then by golly, that's what I'm going to do.   

For further information, go to USGS.gov.

@Plaid Pants2

That's exactly what we've done, here in earthquake central, home of the 1906 quake and home of the university studying them and keeping the records Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

You may know tornadoes, but honey, I know earthquakes.

Wow....so uncalled for and rude.

it was a suggestion, if it doesn't work it doesn't work.  Someone else, with a little less "experience" may think it's worth at least thinking about.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thru u10/4: Earthquake advisory - Southern California

I hope I don't offend anyone, but why would anyone choose to live in a place that is so dangerous! Don't quakes happen unannounced? In which case, turning off the gas won't be in time, right? Not just Calif, but tornado alley would worry me, too! Yes, we get blizzards and hurricanes but rarely do either of those kill massive amounts of people in our area! I understand living where you work, your family is, or even a place you love, but I don't think I could live in a place that could experience a quake! I pray that it won't happen and that you are all safe for a very, very long time! Good luck and God bless!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Native Southern Californian here. I ahve lived theorugh the Sylmar Quake in '71, Whttier Quae  (today is the 29th anniversary, The Sierra Madre Quake,  in which the epicenter was less htan 1 mile from my house, Northridge and thousands of "small" quakes through the years..

What works in one situation may not in others, each scenario in a quake is so different.. the things we CAN do? have our phones charged, have important phone numbers, ample water and food supply ...

Heck I think i will just put on that helmet and spend the rest of the weekend under a table..........................not!

ETA........Or I could just go to the basement...LOL!

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

I hope I don't offend anyone, but why would anyone choose to live in a place that is so dangerous! Don't quakes happen unannounced? In which case, turning off the gas won't be in time, right? Not just Calif, but tornado alley would worry me, too! Yes, we get blizzards and hurricanes but rarely do either of those kill massive amounts of people in our area! I understand living where you work, your family is, or even a place you love, but I don't think I could live in a place that could experience a quake! I pray that it won't happen and that you are all safe for a very, very long time! Good luck and God bless!

Please define "so dangerous".  I've lived in CA for just over 30 years, and during the biggest quake during my time here, I believe about 60 people lost their lives.  When I lived in New England, far more people than that lost their lives every winter, due to blizzards and car accidents related to dangerous driving conditions.  

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

"So dangerous"? I have lived in CA my entire 67 years, through quakes large and small. The number of quakes in my lifetime that caused any death or serious injury, I can pretty much count on one hand. CA's building codes are not those of a Third World country. 

Hurricanes and tornadoes, as well as snowstorms and floods, happen pretty much *every year* and sometimes several in a year, that flatten houses, destroy entire towns, and kill people and animals. A major earthquake might happen ince ever one or two *decades.*

I'll take my chances with earthquakes.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all