Respected Contributor

Re: Thru 10/4: Earthquake advisory - Southern California

Uh oh! Please be careful everyone. Heart

Honored Contributor

A few more things come to mind .... when they say have cash on hand, they mean small bills.   Lots of singles is a good thing.  If the power is out, and you can actually get to a store for something, please don't expect they'll be able to make change for a $20!!

Also ..... check your fire extinguisher .... and check your inventory of pet food, kitty litter .... any other supplies you use regularly.   Gotta keep the pets comfy!   Heart

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

I hope there isn't an earthquake.   How frightening 

I'm glad so many are prepared at home.  But what happens if you aren't near your supplies?  That's what I would be worried about 

Life is too short to be constantly worried about "The Big One" hitting.

And odds are (99% chance) that there won't be an earthquake.

that is exactly how my s/o feels. he is one of those people that always says "when it is your time, it is your time."  i used to freak out at 4.0 earthquakes that he couldnt even feel.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Thru u10/4: Earthquake advisory - Southern California

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

How do you prepare for an earthquake advisory?  I mean it's pretty obvious what to do in my part of the country when we have a snow advisory, but I wonder if people in CA change their plans and such.  Way back when I was in elementary school, we were told a huge earthquake would most likely hit the west coast by the year 2000 and that thousands would perish.  Thankfully that never happened.

The first steps are steps you take to keep from blowin yourself up......know how to turn the gas off into your home and have the tool there to do it............also make sure you wrap the metal part in tape to keep accidental sparks from happening from metal hitting metal..........know where and how to turn off the water going into your home if there are any broken pipes...........now you need your other stuff because your home may not be safe to live in.

The rest is the normal stuff, sleeping bags, food, water, first aid kit, change of clothes, flash light, battery operated radio, etc............one for each person

We have a RubberMaid trash can with each person's name on it that is packed with everything that one person would need..........another one that has a tent, cooking stuff, and other camping items............ they are lined up in the garage, just in case.....it's all part and parcel with living in Cali................................................raven

Excellent preparedness!!  ALSO stay away from fireplaces..... inside and outside as they are likely to fall down.  We did the same thing with a big trash can, so did my parents.  The problem with earthquakes is that they are over by the time you realize it was one.

I've been in several hard earthquakes having lived in So. Ca since 1958.  And one when we were camping in the mountains.  It was a huge roll, like a wave of ocean only it was a wave of the earth lifting the trees, rocks and us up into the air and down again....  holy moly.... 

Prepare the best you can by having emergency supplies readily available ...  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Something they've started recommending here if under a tornado warning is to wear a bicycle helmet.  I would think that would be a good idea for during an earthquake too.

That's actually a very good idea, and considering what I did to my head back in 2010 when I fell, I probably should be wearing one full time..... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Families may not be together when a quake hits and it may not be possible to get home.  They block off neighborhoods sometimes.

Have a fail-safe person outside your area for all members to check in with to let others know if they are OK and where they are.

Like Grandma or a friend of the family. 

Honored Contributor

If you have CATS, make sure your cat carrier is within reach. 

Cats will often run and hide if they sense trouble, catch them at the first hint in case you need to be on the move at some point.

It you don't have a cat carrier, you can put a cat in an empty pillow-case to carry if need be.

Honored Contributor

For those of you who have experienced earthquakes AND have pets, 

in hindsight do you remember them acting weird way beforehand? 

Esteemed Contributor

Eathquakes happen so fast you don't have time to put on a helmet. There is no warning. It is not like a tornado.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I'm Grateful, To be back home in the Adirondack mountains.