Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thru 10/4: Earthquake advisory - Southern California

If I am not mistaken, the "advisory" expires today.

Now, granted, they day isn't over yet, but I just have to say, see? I told you there was nothing to worry and fret about.

I told you that there wasn't going to be a 7.0+ earthquake.

All of that worrying and fretting for nothing.

Just wasted energy.

With each passing hour and day, the liklihood of a 7.0 earthquake happening went DOWN.

The seismologist were right when they said that there was a LESS THAN 1% chance of a 7.0 earthquake happening by today.

That's why I focused on the 99% chance of it NOT happening.

So, it would appear that I was right.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The advisory has been extended to the end of the week. The chance of a large one occurring is from 1 in 100 to 1 in 3,000. We get these warnings about twice a year. Although it's good for residents to be prepared I'm not sure why this one is receiving so much attention.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

The advisory has been extended to the end of the week. The chance of a large one occurring is from 1 in 100 to 1 in 3,000. We get these warnings about twice a year. Although it's good for residents to be prepared I'm not sure why this one is receiving so much attention.

IMO they could extend it 365 and it would probably be just as accurate. They could pick a day at random and there would be *an* earthquake somewhere nearby in the state. People who don't live here don't think about the fact that CA has multiple earthquakes every day, as Alaska does.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

IMO they could extend it 365 and it would probably be just as accurate. They could pick a day at random and there would be *an* earthquake somewhere nearby in the state. People who don't live here don't think about the fact that CA has multiple earthquakes every day, as Alaska does.

And a vast majority of those quakes are too small to even feel!

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

And a vast majority of those quakes are too small to even feel!

Yeah, I almost included that ;-)

Honored Contributor

I will say that I'm happy to be living on the Central Coast vs. having spent my whole life up to now in LA. For many reasons, but The Big One is one reason. 

I was aware that I lived in a very old building, and I knew that the way it was constructed was...not good - pillars over carport, etc. Plus I lived upstairs.

About 9 months ago the city announced that thousands of apartment buildings needed to be retrofitted or torn down. After I moved I saw my place IS on the list (no surprise).

This is SO bad news for housing in LA. Rents are seriously insane as it is. The cost of renovations, for landlords who make them, are to be split between the landlord and the tenants, so the already-unaffordable rents will go up by the hundred at least, maybe more. But I suspect that many landlords of these older buildings (of which there are thousands) will just raze them and new, extremely expensive apartments will eventually (5-6 years) replace them.

Where I am now is spread out single story homes on larger acreages. Even if there was a Big One I don't fear for my life under those circumstances - and I live a middling distance from Loma Prieta (just found that out with the fire) and have stood atop the San Andreas about 15 miles away. I feel safer now than in building-dense LA proper.

Respected Contributor

I love and adore Ca. I too, have spent my life here except, for three years when I was very little in Brooklyn (loved that too).

My grandfather told us stories about the Big One in 06. 

He and a cousin ran, found a horse wagon and went downtown to a family store and cut paintings out of their frames, and then went to another family business that had a telegraph. They sent a message to the east coast asking for help. Then they put the family on a boat to Marin to escape the burning city. 

I've been through many quakes, but wouldn't trade my state for another. My father lived in North Beach during the Loma Prieta and was stuck upstairs for three days as he was recovering from a heart attack and couldnt do stairs. The power and elevator were out.  The bay bridge was the view from his living room and he worried about a dear friend who was due to be there when the quake hit.( She went back to her office in Berkley to answer the phone, thank God)

I have been lucky that we have never been hurt or lost everything as some have, but it is a part of who we are here. 

Honored Contributor

As an aside, something that is good news for renters - unlike earthquake insurance for homeowners, which is quite expensive with large deductibles - earthquake insurance for renters is cheap! I found that out when I purchased regular renters insurance. I was also able to get earthquake insurance for less than $15/mo with $1000 (as I recall, might have been less) deductible. Very worth it.

Respected Contributor

I was unaware the threat was so low! They do this often? Maybe it's just when something points to a higher likelihood of one hitting! I guess it's like telling us a blizzard may hit us. That way, if one does, most of us have gotten extra supplies and checked batteries, etc. if it hits, we're prepared, if not, oh well! I guess I feel it's always better to be safe than sorry! I'm very happy nothing has happened yet, sorry to hear they extended the look out, and will continue to pray it never does!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.