Honored Contributor

Re: Throwing Away Old Photographs

I suppose it just depends on your family dynamic and how close you all are.  I still have all of the photos of my ex-husband with and without our son in the shots, and my ex-husbands family.  Heck is oldest sister took me to my last colonoscopy.   Still family with his family, just not with him.  If I go before his sisters they will be the ones to clean out my home we are so close, so they themselves may want some of my photos.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I put pictures through the shredder.

I do not throw them out.

"Dumb" and "superstitious" reasons I do this.

I do not like the idea of  photos of the dead or gone maybe being seen  where others can view them. It as though the dead are still watching. Really creepy.

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I suppose it just depends on your family dynamic and how close you all are.  I still have all of the photos of my ex-husband with and without our son in the shots, and my ex-husbands family.  Heck is oldest sister took me to my last colonoscopy.   Still family with his family, just not with him.  If I go before his sisters they will be the ones to clean out my home we are so close, so they themselves may want some of my photos.

@beckyb1012  Your children will appreciate the fact that you still have pictures of ex and your son.

My parents divorced when I was 5 and my mother was so angry at him that she took every picture of him, along with wedding pictures and threw them out.

The pictures of my dad I she actually cut him out of every picture.  It is heartbreaking that happened as I am left with only one picture of us together that she missed.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Biftu wrote:

i have many old photos from the 1930s, etc. that were handed down from my deceased parents.  Most are professionally done and wooden or cardboard framed.  Many are wedding pictures.  Beautifully done.  While I know who some of the people in the photos are, some I have no idea.  There are also albums with pictures of people long gone.  I feel I should keep pictures and albums of my parents and myself and my father's pictures when he was in Iwo Jima and Hawaii during World War II even though I never look at them.  Nobody would want these pictures.  They have been sitting in drawers for years.  I'm trying to get rid of unnecessary things cluttering my life.  

Don't know why I'm struggling with throwing them in the trash, but I do.  How is do you feel about throwing away photos from the past?  

@Biftu - I would NEVER throw old photographs away, especially those professionally done. I know some of my family history, but my maternal grandmother's has always been "spotty." I have an oil portrait from around 1810. My grandmother said it was her great-great aunt and her name was Amelia. She appears to be a teenager and she is not smiling, which I guess was common. 

I will never get rid of it.

I have a lot of other family pictures from my mom's side, and a few from my dad's.

My brother died in his 20's. I have boxes full of his college pictures of people I don't know. I have pictures of his high school girlfriend and his college one, both of whom I knew well. There are pictures of the girl he was seeing after college. I really liked her. But I know I need to get rid of most of them. It's still too hard, even after all of these years.

DH on the other hand has none. I don't even have pictures of him growing up. I have asked his sisters over and over and they always have an excuse. I have one baby picture and his veterinary school graduation picture. I've never seen any pictures from when he was young or even his high school graduation picture. And I've given up asking. I'm just sorry our children haven't seen any.

I was always a big picture taker, so we have lots from the time we were married.

Maybe this is why I will try hard to never get rid of them. 

Trusted Contributor

I got rid of the pictures.  After both of my parents passed I had to take care of dealing with their house and belongings.  I would not wish that on anyone.  they never got rid of things.  It was a mess going through everything  Also, I worked full time and had young children at the time.  It taught me a valuable lesson..keep the things that are most important and get rid of the rest.    I don't want my kids to have to do what I had to do. 

Honored Contributor

I gave the albums to my sister but scanned everything I could beforehand.  I kept a bunch of the loose, mostly older photos, several of which we don't know who they are.  I put those in an album on my Facebook page.  Since some of my relatives are also Facebook Friends, it gave them a chance to see them and I did get names for some of them that way.  

Esteemed Contributor

I should look into museums or organizations that may be especially interested in the WW II photos.  Many are quite graphic and a depiction of the battles.  I also have some memorabelia and medals.

Respected Contributor

@MaverDaver I feel the same. I know all these photos will be a problem for my kids someday, but so many memories are attached to them and it's hard to just toss them they were nobody

Honored Contributor

@Biftu 

Our local War Museum accepts donations of pretty much anything veteran; uniforms, medals, pictures, certificates, etc.   

Honored Contributor

@ruthbe wrote:

I got rid of the pictures.  After both of my parents passed I had to take care of dealing with their house and belongings.  I would not wish that on anyone.  they never got rid of things.  It was a mess going through everything  Also, I worked full time and had young children at the time.  It taught me a valuable lesson..keep the things that are most important and get rid of the rest.    I don't want my kids to have to do what I had to do. 

Yeah, cost me a fortune to get rid of my husband's accumulation of stupid junk. 600 for the car garage and 1200 for the pole barn garage

It was in the 100's' degree temp and flies swarming. All that ***t got hauled off took 2 long bed truck's and trailer bed on each too get that place clean. Ol' gal sold some of it for profit I didn't care. LOL