Esteemed Contributor

Re: Three month old infant found in grass in a front yard at night

@SeaMaiden wrote:

UPDATE on this situation

The mother turned herself in claiming to be the baby"s Mother... she is in custody.  The family of the Mother said she is a known druggie and always high... and Children Welfare people had been called several times before this incident by family members telling them the baby could be in danger.  ... I guess not much was followed up on... typical of Children's welfare in the state of washington... they do a crummy job.   .

The Father was not aware that the Mother had taken the baby and left it on someones lawn.   I do not think he is in jail  for this. 

Grandmother did nothing to help baby knowing full well her daughter is a junkie?  Child welfare workers did nothing, knowing full well the mother has a drug problem?  Everyone seems to be trying to fail this child.  That stranger who found the baby ~ God Bless her!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

NYS

New York State’s Abandoned Infant Protection Act allows a parent to abandon a newborn baby up to 30 days of age anonymously and without fear of prosecution -- if the baby is abandoned in a safe manner.

A parent is not guilty of a crime if the infant is left with an appropriate person or in a suitable location and the parent promptly notifies an appropriate person of the infant’s location.  A hospital, staffed police or fire station are examples of safe and suitable choices.

A person leaving an infant under this law is not required to give his or her name.

http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/safe/info.asp

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Good point. 

@scatcat wrote:

I find it odd that someone just happened to be walking around at 1:30 in the morning in the exact location of an abandoned baby

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

The world is going to h&ll.  Every day is a new definition of horrible.

Honored Contributor

I believe every state has a Safe Haven law but the circumstances and age vary state by state and where you can leave the infant varies state by state.

If you Google "save haven by state" a map comes up and you can click on a state and find out the age limite and where an infant can be left.  According to the map, the age limits range from 3 days to 30 days.  There wasn't a state that went beyond 30 days.  Not sure how accurate the map is.