Respected Contributor

Re: Three month old infant found in grass in a front yard at night

So glad that woman was out and heard the sounds, then found the baby.  No excuse for that with the Safe Haven law. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Authorities have found the parents.....they are in custody now.  

Respected Contributor

The Safe Haven laws did not apply to this baby. At 3 months, he was too old, and would be in most states.

Washington

Infant’s Age Citation: Rev. Code § 13.34.360

A newborn may be relinquished. The term ‘newborn’ means a live human being who is younger than 72 hours old.

I don't know why, but I keep thinking this happened because of a dispute between the parents, and whoever left the child intended to return to get him. I hope so, because it's better than complete abandonment of the dear little fellow.

I think parenting is the hardest job in the world, bar none. These parents and their children need help--and I say "children" because apparently the baby was wearing a top that said something about being a little brother.

Hopefully a sibling had nothing to do with this.

Honored Contributor

Our area just had a three year old walking along a highway in the rain.  She walked out of daycare during naptime when one 'teacher' monitors two rooms of kids.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

The Safe Haven laws did not apply to this baby. At 3 months, he was too old, and would be in most states.

Washington

A newborn may be relinquished. The term ‘newborn’ means a live human being who is younger than 72 hours old.

I don't know why, but I keep thinking this happened because of a dispute between the parents, and whoever left the child intended to return to get him. I hope so, because it's better than complete abandonment of the dear little fellow.

I think parenting is the hardest job in the world, bar none. These parents and their children need help--and I say "children" because apparently the baby was wearing a top that said something about being a little brother.

Perhaps in some state but my state is more compassionate and  and is in place to save children.  What would be the point of such a law covering a 3 week old but not a 6 month old?   Our Safe Harbor law covers children up to the age 2 although the cases I've read about have been babies, under a year old. 

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Washington

Perhaps in some state but my state is more compassionate and  and is in place to save children.  What would be the point of such a law covering a 3 week old but not a 6 month old?   Our Safe Harbor law covers children up to the age 2 although the cases I've read about have been babies, under a year old. 

I can't speak to the legislaive intent, @chrystaltree, although I suspect it may have had to do with preventing the kind of infanticide that can occur when a young woman delivers her child, alone, by herself, and puts the baby in the garbage. It has happened, and it's horrific.

The problem with allowing surrenders of older children is drawing the line. If 2 years is okay, why not 3? Or 4? What is the effect upon the children of being rejected at an age where they're conscious of what's happening? I don't know, but I do know that older children who are abandoned by their families as PINS (persons in need of supervision) can fall prey to all kinds of bad influences, because I've known a few of them. They became street people.

I'm just glad this child was found, and hope that the family can be salvaged and if not restored, that the children find loving homes and the parents get help to sort out their issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Washington

I can't speak to the legislaive intent, @chrystaltree, although I suspect it may have had to do with preventing the kind of infanticide that can occur when a young woman delivers her child, alone, by herself, and puts the baby in the garbage. It has happened, and it's horrific.

The problem with allowing surrenders of older children is drawing the line. If 2 years is okay, why not 3? Or 4? What is the effect upon the children of being rejected at an age where they're conscious of what's happening? I don't know, but I do know that older children who are abandoned by their families as PINS (persons in need of supervision) can fall prey to all kinds of bad influences, because I've known a few of them. They became street people.

I'm just glad this child was found, and hope that the family can be salvaged and if not restored, that the children find loving homes and the parents get help to sort out their issues.

As I said, my state focuses on the children and while Safe Harbor covers babies; any parent with a child of any age who is under stress and feels that he or she cannot provide a safe home for their child can walk into any Dept of Children's Services office and voluntarily place their children in foster care.  No questions asked.  The parents are then referred to various social service agencies and depending on the circumstances, the intent is to "fix" the family and reunite them.  That, of course, often is not possible but because parents have that options, we do not have abandoned children.  It doesn't happen here because there's no need.  The larger hospitals here even have permanent DSS workers at the hospitals to deal with these cases.  That whole PINS thing has not existed in my state for about 30 years.  Our foster care system is stressed and there are not enough foster care homes and it's not a perfect situation but the children are taken care of and "children" means through the age of 18. 

Honored Contributor

If your a parent,and do drugs your children should be taken from you.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

UPDATE on this situation

The mother turned herself in claiming to be the baby"s Mother... she is in custody.  The family of the Mother said she is a known druggie and always high... and Children Welfare people had been called several times before this incident by family members telling them the baby could be in danger.  ... I guess not much was followed up on... typical of Children's welfare in the state of washington... they do a crummy job.   .

The Father was not aware that the Mother had taken the baby and left it on someones lawn.   I do not think he is in jail  for this. 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Washington

I had no idea the laws restricted it to 72 hours, I'm assuming it's pretty much that for all the states that allow this?

That's sad.  I know you mentioned farther on down past this post how tragic it would be for an older child (2, 3 or 4) to be given up, but it's more tragic for a child to have to endure being brought up by a druggie or otherwise abusive parent.  jmho

It could be deadly.